Internet Access on Liberty of the Seas

JohnK6404

My wife and I do not plan on spending the ridiculous $20-$30/day for the unlimited wi-fi access since we can live with limited access while cruising, but would still like to sign on throughout the trip to check in, etc.

Does Liberty still have the standard Internet Cafe for all passengers where you pay for blocks of access time (minutes/hours vs. unlimited)?

I read somewhere that some ships have teen only internet cafes... just want to make sure the "normal" internet cafe for all cruisers is still available!

Thanks in advance!

There is still the cafe but I would recommend bringing your own devices because those computers are too old for my taste, so from a performance standpoint, you are better served with your own laptop or iPad or phone.  WiFi is all over the ship, so you can connect from almost everywhere.

Yes, we were definitely planning on taking our iPhones/iPads... so it has not changed?

You can elect to purchase blocks of access time "a la carte" in the cafe and then sign in using the wi-fi network vs. paying for the unlimited access?  It's a 10-night cruise and the thought of tacking another $200-$300 for unlimited access is an absolute last resort option.

I believe on our last cruise (OCT 2013 on Explorer) I logged in and paid for the time (I believe using the SeaPass) while in the cafe and then as you mentioned, from that point forward, was able to use the wi-fi (I believe the wi-fi signal was relatively limited at the time - I do not believe they upgraded the wi-fi network back then)...

Thanks Matt!

Matt is correct, on Brilliance last month the only short term option besides the unlimited option was a 24 hour pass for $40. Yes, $40. Also, you don't have to sign up at the internet cafe. You just connect to the ship's wifi on your device and then a page pops up that gives you the purchase options. It's not cheap, but it's very convenient.

Matt is correct, on Brilliance last month the only short term option besides the unlimited option was a 24 hour pass for $40. Yes, $40. Also, you don't have to sign up at the internet cafe. You just connect to the ship's wifi on your device and then a page pops up that gives you the purchase options. It's not cheap, but it's very convenient.

They have greatly simplified the internet package options now.  

Given that 24 hours is $40, it's really difficult to pass up on the unlimited option. Probably what they planned on!

They have greatly simplified the internet package options now.  

Given that 24 hours is $40, it's really difficult to pass up on the unlimited option. Probably what they planned on!

That stinks... I miss when you paid for minutes and you could use them throughout the entire cruise... I wonder if the internet cafe still works that way? Who would pay $40 to sit in the cafe all day?

That stinks... I miss when you paid for minutes and you could use them throughout the entire cruise... I wonder if the internet cafe still works that way? Who would pay $40 to sit in the cafe all day?

Let me play devil's advocate...

Prior to the unlimited packages, people constantly became disgruntled about timeouts and server issues that resulted in wasted minutes.  I know I would often waste tens of minutes in a session waiting for the ship's network connection to return.

This also translated into guests subsequently going to Guest Services to complain.  It just was not a good customer experience.

The new unlimited packages are much more affordable than they have ever been and it makes it simpler to use overall.  If the ship's internet disappears or is just taking a long time to load, you can feel better about trying it again later since the cost is fixed.

Hope that makes sense.

Odd indeed that they have no minute packages at all left. It makes me wonder if they intend to get prices to rediculously low levels as the fleet slowly upgrades to the new satelite tech.

7 days without internet. The thought brings me to tears :P .