CoCoCay First Timers

Gigi

We are first time cruisers on RC and have some questions about CoCoCay.

1. We are interested in renting one of those Beach Loungers, formerly cabanette (thank you Matt for the info on the Blog).  Is the value there?  I see they are $50/pp.

2. My husband is a runner and is wondering if there are any opportunities to put a 5-6 mile run together on the island?

3. If you have your own snorkeling equipment do you have to join one of the excursions or can you easily get out to do your own snorkeling?

4.  What would be your must do?

Thanks everyone!  18 days and counting!!

I think those beach loungers are definitely a great value. It seems like everyone that gets one, raves about them!

There is a path that you can definitely run on the island.  There's a dirt road that leads from the interior of the main beach area down to the opposite end of the island (look for signs for the nature walk).  It's maybe a mile, so you will have to do some laps but it's your best bet.

If you have your own equipment, you can go out on your own.  Obviously an excursion may take you out further but you absolutely can bring your own snorkel and jump in the water.

Must do's on CocoCay: Try Barefoot Beach for the least crowded experience and definitely have one (or many) Cocolocos!

I was very skeptical of CoCo Cay and boy was I ever wrong! CoCo Cay is plain and simple a great day at the beach. Plenty of space, plenty of activities, and it's well organized.

Bringing your own snorkel gear is a good way to save some bucks. They will make you wear a vest, so bring one along. I've found the best snorkeling to actually be where they want you to go! In particular, head out to the island that will have a lifeguard and beach umbrella on it, then vere left twords the ship to the end of the roped off area. Being deeper water, there will be some large fish there. It is quite impressive. Having snorkeled on just about every Royal Caribbean snorkeling excursion, this area of CoCo Cay is my #3 favorite of all time--and it's free! 

• 2 weeks later...

Do they provide vests if you only bring your own snorkeling mask?

For what it's worth I thought the snorkeling was pretty fun there. They had a sunken plane, ship and cannons (all placed of course) with buoys to mark the spots so you don't have to search. Also, they had floating docks with ladders to give you a rest if needed. They even placed coloured discs on the sea floor for you to find for a prize.

Not necessarily a 'natural' experience but they made it fun.