Rumored mechanical problems, Allure of the Seas

PAL

RCL has confirmed that the Allure is currently speed restricted, apparently due to problems with one of the ship's three azipods. Here's the quote:

Allure of the Seas currently has a small restriction on her top speed. All equipment is fully operational and there is no impact on the maneuverability of the ship or on the safety of our guests and crew.

Scheduled port stops appear to have been shortened on the Oct 13 and 27 Eastern Caribbean sailings. For St Thomas, it's a significant hit. Instead of 10-7, the Allure was only in port from 11:30-6:30. Nassau was apparently changed from 7 am to 2 pm to 7:30 to noon. Many port excursions were cancelled. 

At CruiseCritic, several posters claim they've made repeated requests of RCL to confirm the issues so they can make adjustments to their planned port excursions. So far RCL has denied there have been any itinerary changes. Passengers aboard these Eastern sailings were only informed once on board for their cruises. Distances are shorter on the Western sailing - that itinerary hasn't been affected. 

My family is scheduled to sail on the Allure's Eastern Caribbean route beginning Nov 24. I'd reserved an expensive private boat charter to St John. It was going to be the highlight of our week, and our only chance to get away from the crowds. I'm on the verge of canceling it.  

I'm disappointed, but with the cruise only three weeks out, trying to make adjustments now so I can put it behind me and enjoy the vacation. Can you please help?

What could we do on St Thomas between 12 and 6 (I'm considering the time it takes to disembark and reembark) on St Thomas?

For Nassau, I'm not sure it's worth getting off the ship for a 7 am to 12:30 pm port stop. I expect most attractions don't open until 10. We are not interested in nick-nack shopping.

Does St Maarten offer anything that compares with St John? That port call is reportedly still 8 to 5. I'm wondering whether we can do something as special as the private charter I'm about to cancel, and make our St Thomas afternoon into a beach outing. 

Pete, I know you from WDW Today. You understand the importance of vacation planning. 

Thanks all for any help. 

Hi Pete,

I've read the reports of Allure's propulsion issues but as you can see, Royal Caribbean isn't say much about it.  As long as they can still dock, they don't feel compelled to make an issue of it.  Of course we always want as much time in port as possible, but you're still stopping where you hoped and Allure is a beautiful ship so if this all means more time onboard, I can think of worse places to be "stuck" on. ;)

For St Thomas, a day at Magens Bay is hard to go wrong with: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2013/06/25/excursion-focus-magens-bay

Nassau, I'd probably just stay onboard especially if you've ever been to Nassau before.  Hate to sound jaded but just being honest.

I love St Maarten, especially the French side.  Orient Beach was the most beautiful beach I've ever been to, so might be worth checking out.  We went to Bikini Beach and had great service: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2013/10/08/excursion-focus-bikini-beach-st-martin

Post if you have more questions (and thanks for checking this site out too!)

Nassau in 5 hours. Self guided walking tour of Bay Street, Queens Staircase, & Fort FinCastle -- highest point on Nassau thus great views of city & ships in port. You'll find lots of local hand made crafts on Bay Street, great woven baskets. Fort is about 15 to 20 minutes from ship whole tour maybe 2 hour. Enterprising locals will probably offer historical review discussion, it's worth a few bucks gratuity, they are knowledgeable. Top off with Margaritta & Nachos stop at Senor Frogs on return -- just outside terminal to the left ( facing ships) across from Straw Market. Sit at counter seat overlooking the harbor & take your camera -- best harbor view in Nassau. 4 or 5 cruise ships docked just across the water -- impressive view! Even if you don't trinket shop still walk through the straw market, it's amazing.

Nassau in 5 hours. Self guided walking tour of Bay Street, Queens Staircase, & Fort FinCastle -- highest point on Nassau thus great views of city & ships in port. You'll find lots of local hand made crafts on Bay Street, great woven baskets. Fort is about 15 to 20 minutes from ship whole tour maybe 2 hour. Enterprising locals will probably offer historical review discussion, it's worth a few bucks gratuity, they are knowledgeable. Top off with Margaritta & Nachos stop at Senor Frogs on return -- just outside terminal to the left ( facing ships) across from Straw Market. Sit at counter seat overlooking the harbor & take your camera -- best harbor view in Nassau. 4 or 5 cruise ships docked just across the water -- impressive view! Even if you don't trinket shop still walk through the straw market, it's amazing.

Agreed, definitely worth seeing if you've never been before.