Solarium Bistro for dinner on Oasis

Myisland

Has anyone done the solarium bistro for dinner on Oasis?  It used to be available for reservations without a charge.  I heard there is now a surcharge.  Just wondering if it is anything "special."  Dining options don't show up for my May 2018 cruise yet, so also wondering what the charge is.  Any help is greatly appreciated :12_slight_smile:!

4 hours ago, Myisland said:

Has anyone done the solarium bistro for dinner on Oasis?  It used to be available for reservations without a charge.  I heard there is now a surcharge.  Just wondering if it is anything "special."  Dining options don't show up for my May 2018 cruise yet, so also wondering what the charge is.  Any help is greatly appreciated :12_slight_smile:!

Just had dinner there on Saturday, Nov 11.  When we reserved earlier in 2017 (July/Aug, I think), it was complimentary.  That said, in the Cruise Compass last week it was shown as a dining option for an upcharge.  Did not inquire as to how much.  We also dined there on a previous cruise on Oasis in Oct 2016 for a charge of $15pp.  My experience was the same on both cruises.  In my opinion, this is a dining venue in search of a theme or identity.  The buffet style appetizers (some of which were very good) are more in line with a tapas style meal, but then, that is how Vintages operates with its expanded tapas menu.  The entrée is then ordered and served by wait staff.  In 2016, the entrees were substantially below the quality that one was served in other Specialty venues such as Chops or 150 Central, and frankly was not worth the upcharge being asked.  On Saturday, our entrée was much better prepared and served, so for a complimentary meal, it was acceptable but not the same experience as other upcharge venues.  

My opinion is that this is a beautiful venue that is not being used to its fullest potential by RCI.  Go for it if complimentary, but your dollars may be better spent if you are asked to pay an upcharge.  

Thanks so much.  It's exactly what I needed to hear.  We were thinking about it as a 1st night option since our regular dining time is 8p.  Thought it might be a nice to do an earlier dining time to take advantage of the view  from the solarium and a show that night.  We recently dined at "Chops" on our Grandeur cruise and had an "okay" experience (have to say our main dining room staff was FABULOUS so they had a lot to live up to).  Chops had oversold that night, we had to wait 30 minutes past our reservation time and the food wasn't the experience others have posted about.  We just hit it at an "off" night, but not excited to try it again just yet.  I'll keep an eye on my planner and see what they come up with as an  upcharge.  If it's reasonable or comp we just may try the  Solarium.  Thanks again,

Karen

Wow this site is amazing!!! Nothing shows up on my cruise planner for my May cruise for optional dining venues.  I ask a question about it and ......... VOILA dining options show up on my planner the next day :1_grinning:!!!!!   I call that INCREDIBLE!!!   As an FYI, the Solarium Bistro is showing up as $00, but can't make a reservation on line yet.    

Our experience with the bistro has been very good. They have two or three good entree options. We view this venue as better than the main dining room but not as good as specialty restaurants. We've tired of the menus in the main dining room so we like the bistro a couple times during the week. The deserts in the bistro are also better than mdr.

When free it is a no brainer for us. Even as an upcharge it is worth considering doing. Look for someone in the promenade soliciting for the bistro. We were offered 2 for 1. Given the overall lack of use there, I  expect they would still be offering the discount.