Question about the kids club

Linda27

It's been 6 years since we've been on RC (before kids). Since we've had children, we've been on Disney's Line, so I'm only familiar with their kids club. My main question (for now) is how my 2 kids can interact while in the club. For instance, now, they are 4 and 6, but according to RCs club, that would put them into 2 separate age groups. Do they allow those groups to interact. My oldest is fine, but my youngest is the shy one and would only want to be go if she could be with her sister. Would they be able to play together or are the age groups kept apart? Any other tidbits about the club are welcomed. Thanks in advance!

Hi Linda27! 

We sailed on Freedom of the Seas in October and we had only sailed DCL before.  I was also worried before we went about my kids having to be in separate groups.  On our DCL cruise not only were they able to go in together but we sailed with their cousins also, so they always had someone with them.  I really wasn't sure if they would go alone or not, and went in with the attitude that if they went to the kids clubs great, but if not that's ok also.

I can tell you that our experience was better than expected.  They did go into separate groups most of the time.  I do think they combine them at times, but it's not all the time.  I know one evening I went to pick up my 11 yr old and he was in the 6-8 yr old area playing a video game, so I know at least then they had groups together.

What we experienced was that the RC kids clubs have a very different feel to them than DCL.  On DCL they had the super cool rooms and the kids just ran in and it was kind of a free for all and there were tons of kids!!  RC club is smaller and they usually have group activities going on when they walk in.  Either it would be a game that staff was leading, or art activities out they were working on, there was always something the staff would get them involved in when they walked in.  I think the smaller group made my shy 7 yr old more comfortable and she felt included and had a lot of fun!  So much that when we went to St Martin she asked us if she could stay on the ship in the kids club because she had heard they get to eat lunch together.  Before the cruise I would have never thought I would agree to this!  But I felt comfortable and she was so excited to do it that we let her stay in the 4-5 hours while we were off the ship.

Hope this helps :)

Angela

I also haven't sailed on RCI since my son (7) was born, but my experience is similar to that of Angela on all of the other lines we've sailed. They're pretty strict on keeping the age groups separated except for so e shared or late night activities. Disney use to be this way, too.

One thing that's very different from DCL is the hours of the clubs. They close earlier and on most lines close at lunch and around dinner unless it's a port day. This has been my experience on HAL, Carnival, and Celebrity with Celebrity offering an option of a paid lunchtime care.