Can you pay for dining reservations while having the UDP?

Hi, sorry if this has been asked-- I'm not a first time cruiser but I am a first time RC cruiser, and my fiancé has never been on a cruise period. We are going on our first together for our honeymoon in December of this year on Mariner OTS.

I understand (somewhat) the difference between the dining options. I know the basics, such as I can get the UDP and book once on board, and which restaurants are premium, etc. 

Here's my question: We have an unlimited dining plan that was a really good price since we don't mind being flexible. However, we'd really like to try and ensure that we have a spot at Izumi Hibachi one night, since we heard it is popular-- would I be able to purchase a res for it, and then call to have the difference refunded based on my UDP perks? 

Right now, for example, the res for Izumi is $54/pp. With the UDP perks, it says Izumi would have a $15 surcharge on top of the UDP, so would I be able to keep my reservation for $15/pp and only spend $30 instead of $108? (I know that is "relative" savings since I already bought UDP... but, would gladly pay $30 for a peace of mind reservation, knowing we have a spot).

I was wondering if anyone here had done that or knew if they could, before I try calling. Thanks in advance!

So there is a cancellation policy, it can be 24-48 hours, so you can prebook hibachi but whether you get a refund will depend on whether you can cancel. They won't allow you to call beforehand and book/cancel anything. The tradeoff for paying a reduced price is you have to wait to board to book with the UDP. If you prebook, you have to wait until you board and have them switch the reservation and try to get a refund.