Insurance and the non-refundable deposit

jbelle

I am new to this site so forgive me if this has already been asked and answered ... did a search and couldn't find it.

Does the RC Travel Protection Program ...with Cancellation Penalty Waiver Program....cover the new non-refundable deposit (provided the reason for cancellation is one that is allowed)?  If so, why not book at the lower rate?   It's a bit confusing!

Thanks

It should as the insurance covers the entire cruise fare. What you would need to read, though, is when the actual coverage begins. Is it after final payment date or before? In addition, it would need to be for a covered reason. 

There is a line in the RC Protection plan that says, "The RC Travel Protection Plan is not in effect until RC has received the cost of the plan in addition to any deposits  that are due."    So, although you have purchased the cruise including the insurance and paid the required deposit, that doesn't mean you have insurance protection for the  COST of your cruise ..... right? Only have it if you pay the cost of insurance in ADDITION to the deposit????

18 minutes ago, jbelle said:

Only have it if you pay the cost of insurance in ADDITION to the deposit????

That is correct as of May 2016 when I had it. What I did was make a payment on line. When the payment processed I called and asked them to make sure the insurance became effective immediately and to email a new invoice/confirmation, which they did.

Thanks to both of you.   This has been a real eye-opener!

Here's a related crazy question...

If I pay the cost of the insurance at time of booking, and then have to cancel (for a covered reason) will the insurance also cover the cost of the insurance?

DocLC,       Yes, of course, that makes sense. I only asked because of the line that says "the cancellation penalty waiver program is NOT an INSURANCE benefit."  But it IS part of the RC Travel Protection Program and that IS what the premium is for ..... not just the benefits (like medical) covered by Arch. 

I think I'm clear now.....   and I think I will book "non-refundable", pre-pay the RCTPP premium (since I have to have it anyway for the medical part),  and take advantage of the lower cruise fare.

Thank you!