Disability Accommodations & Feeback

My wife and I just returned from a 14-day cruise on #Anthen of the Seas out of South Hampton (Aug ‘23).  This was our second RCCL trip this year.  My 66 yo wife is a T4 paraplegic who uses a wheelchair full time.  We found the corporate disability department helpful with pre-cruise arrangements and excursions but I am less than satisfied with post-cruise feedback and recommendation avenues to RCCL so they can learn and make improvements.

I am looking for recommendations or directions on how to help RCCL make real accessibility improvements on their ships.  I’ll add our experience in a separate post, but would love to hear other’s constructive feedback in hopes of helping families impacted by disability take advantage of cruising.  

POSITIVES:

1.  On both cruises our cabins were quite larger.   We had a window suite on one and an inside virtual window on the second.   Plenty of space for the WC and lots of storage 

2.  Bathroom also was large with a great shower space.  The built in seat was way too small for anyone with balance issues.   We were able to get a small shower chair but that too was not ideal.  We asked again and they found us a shower Bench

3  handicap excursions were available at 3 ports and the price was comparable to able-body excursions 

4  Dining room seating was very tight the first night but we requested to be reseated and though we were in a high-traffic area there was plenty of space for the Wheelchair 

OPPORTUNITIES FOR IMPROVEMENT 

1  Very Few designated WC seating spaces in the Royal Theater and even less in “270” venue   I counted 4 spaces and we had over 100 passengers with mobility issues (per Guest Services)   They need to add more spaces AND designate companion seating

2  Access to the dance floor in “270” was very difficult as we had to go across the main stage and could not exit during a performance   The Lift down to the floor was broken on our second  cruise  YES - we love to dance!

3  table heights in the different eating/drinking venues could offer some slightly taller table tops for electric WCs but my wife’s manual WC was fine 

4  Lack of room schematics   It would have been nice to see our cabin layout and dimensions before booking  We booked on a hope and prayer trusting it would work

My mom is in a wheelchair and we are about to start our cruise on sep 6th, but the main thing i find royal caribbean lacks on their cruises is to adjust their swimming pool area, most ships i have been on are all stairs, for disabled people and elderly a walk-inn pool without stairs would be a real up for actualy using the pools, that this isnt possible for whirlpools is understandable.

2 hours ago, Willem said:

My mom is in a wheelchair and we are about to start our cruise on sep 6th, but the main thing i find royal caribbean lacks on their cruises is to adjust their swimming pool area, most ships i have been on are all stairs, for disabled people and elderly a walk-inn pool without stairs would be a real up for actualy using the pools, that this isnt possible for whirlpools is understandable.

I did see that on Anthem and Odyssey had chair lifts that on transfers to and can lower into the water.  Not a walk-in access though

On 8/29/2023 at 11:41 AM, Disability Cruising said:

POSITIVES:

1.  On both cruises our cabins were quite larger.   We had a window suite on one and an inside virtual window on the second.   Plenty of space for the WC and lots of storage 

2.  Bathroom also was large with a great shower space.  The built in seat was way too small for anyone with balance issues.   We were able to get a small shower chair but that too was not ideal.  We asked again and they found us a shower Bench

3  handicap excursions were available at 3 ports and the price was comparable to able-body excursions 

4  Dining room seating was very tight the first night but we requested to be reseated and though we were in a high-traffic area there was plenty of space for the Wheelchair 

OPPORTUNITIES FOR IMPROVEMENT 

1  Very Few designated WC seating spaces in the Royal Theater and even less in “270” venue   I counted 4 spaces and we had over 100 passengers with mobility issues (per Guest Services)   They need to add more spaces AND designate companion seating

2  Access to the dance floor in “270” was very difficult as we had to go across the main stage and could not exit during a performance   The Lift down to the floor was broken on our second  cruise  YES - we love to dance!

3  table heights in the different eating/drinking venues could offer some slightly taller table tops for electric WCs but my wife’s manual WC was fine 

4  Lack of room schematics   It would have been nice to see our cabin layout and dimensions before booking  We booked on a hope and prayer trusting it would work

I have CP and am in a wheelchair mostly full time now and since co-vid my mother and I have found that there are very few  handicap excursions to the point she started looking at outside providers.  We sail from Fla  

As far as HC accessible excursions, I strongly suggest trying Viator.com.  We found several excursions for our last two cruises.  Don’t let “Not Handicap Accessible” scare you off when reading details.  If you can transfer out of your WC and your WC folds and is not electric many providers will work w you.  Just sign up (FREE to cancel) and start a dialogue.  You can also have Viator help contact the provider but I know I can describe our needs better.  You may need a private tour (more expensive but they can adjust where they take you) but try joining a group tour as well