Pearl Island Bahamas

SpicyCherry

I just read a shore excursion recommendation article by @Matt about Pearl Island. Has anyone tried it out recently? Looks amazing and it would be something different to do in Nassau, being that we've been there too many times to count. Is it offered through RCCL as a Shore Excursion or booked independently? 

It is offered through RC (as well as other cruise lines, I thin), and there are at least 3 variants: (1) the basic visit to Pearl Island (2) the basic visit + guided 30 minute snorkeling tour to a reef that you cannot otherwise swim to; and (3) the basic visit + a boat ride to another island to swim and play on the beach with pigs for an hour. 

I just booked the 'swim with the pigs' Pearl Island excursion earlier today for my family cruise in late August.  

If you want more info on all 3 Pearl Island excursion choices, there are some nice vlogs on YouTube of people visiting the island having a nice time.  Just search pearl island Bahamas" and you'll have tons to pick from.  What stands out to me from having watched a bunch of them is the fact that everyone raves about the lunch (more than you'd expect from seeing what they're eating, so it must just be really tasty) and the fact that the island seems very uncrowded in every single vlog I saw.  It seems like the island is never operating above 50% capacity, which is what really drew me to it over Blue Lagoon. Blue Lagoon has lots of cool stuff to do, but it always seems to be pretty packed.  

1 hour ago, dcnole said:

It is offered through RC (as well as other cruise lines, I thin), and there are at least 3 variants: (1) the basic visit to Pearl Island (2) the basic visit + guided 30 minute snorkeling tour to a reef that you cannot otherwise swim to; and (3) the basic visit + a boat ride to another island to swim and play on the beach with pigs for an hour. 

I just booked the 'swim with the pigs' Pearl Island excursion earlier today for my family cruise in late August.  

If you want more info on all 3 Pearl Island excursion choices, there are some nice vlogs on YouTube of people visiting the island having a nice time.  Just search pearl island Bahamas" and you'll have tons to pick from.  What stands out to me from having watched a bunch of them is the fact that everyone raves about the lunch (more than you'd expect from seeing what they're eating, so it must just be really tasty) and the fact that the island seems very uncrowded in every single vlog I saw.  It seems like the island is never operating above 50% capacity, which is what really drew me to it over Blue Lagoon. Blue Lagoon has lots of cool stuff to do, but it always seems to be pretty packed.  

Thanks @dcnole These excursions will be available via the Cruise Planner?? Our sailing is May 2024 so maybe it’s not showing yet. The website shows Cabanas too. Any info about them? Does RC usually offer them as well? I saw the Pig’s 🐷 Tour on the website. Don’t think I’m gonna try that one….may never eat bacon again🤭🤭

Yes, @SpicyCherry , I booked through the Cruise Planner.  But I do not know when the Pearl Island excursions became available.  We only booked this cruise a month ago, and they were available at that time.  But maybe they become available sometime between 12 and 5 months out?  Others with more experience may know.  

They definitely offer cabanas package on Pearl Island, but all i know about them is what I've seen in a couple YouTube vlogs.  They seem ok, but were not worth the money to my crew since the cabanas except for the 2 or 3 really fancy big ones are for 2 people and I'm travelling with kids.  There seems to be ample shade and tons of seating on the island, so cabanas don't seem critical tp have a great and relaxing day. But if that's your thing and you are planning on not doing one of the side excursions, it may be worth it to you!  

We went the second week of March.  Initially disappointed, but it got better as the island emptied.  Booked through Royal and the person meeting us was late, the boat left without our group, we had to wait for another one, in the sun on the pier, it cost us over an hour of our time.  (There were 5 ships in port that day.)  We arrived at Pearl Island after 2 pm and the island was packed.  Nowhere to sit.  It eventually cleared out after 3 pm and we were able to find chairs and go in the water.  Chairs were easier to find far from the water. We ate lunch - meh - but I know food is subjective.  It almost emptied at 4 pm because a tour left to swim with pigs.  We left about 5:30.  

On 5/3/2023 at 1:00 PM, dcnole said:

Yes, @SpicyCherry , I booked through the Cruise Planner.  But I do not know when the Pearl Island excursions became available.  We only booked this cruise a month ago, and they were available at that time.  But maybe they become available sometime between 12 and 5 months out?  Others with more experience may know.  

They definitely offer cabanas package on Pearl Island, but all i know about them is what I've seen in a couple YouTube vlogs.  They seem ok, but were not worth the money to my crew since the cabanas except for the 2 or 3 really fancy big ones are for 2 people and I'm travelling with kids.  There seems to be ample shade and tons of seating on the island, so cabanas don't seem critical tp have a great and relaxing day. But if that's your thing and you are planning on not doing one of the side excursions, it may be worth it to you!  

@dcnoleThanks….I’ll look for the YouTube vlogs on the Cabanas. Just 2 of us so may meet our needs and don’t seem too expensive.

3 hours ago, Homemom said:

We went the second week of March.  Initially disappointed, but it got better as the island emptied.  Booked through Royal and the person meeting us was late, the boat left without our group, we had to wait for another one, in the sun on the pier, it cost us over an hour of our time.  (There were 5 ships in port that day.)  We arrived at Pearl Island after 2 pm and the island was packed.  Nowhere to sit.  It eventually cleared out after 3 pm and we were able to find chairs and go in the water.  Chairs were easier to find far from the water. We ate lunch - meh - but I know food is subjective.  It almost emptied at 4 pm because a tour left to swim with pigs.  We left about 5:30.  

@HomemomYour experience makes me think it’s better to book through the website, too perhaps get an early slot????

3 hours ago, Ryan79 said:

There is no standard timetable when specific excursions pop up in your CP. some will be there over 600 days in advance and I’ve seen some pop up within 10 days of sailing. You just have to keep checking. 

@Ryan79I will…might book on their website too. Thanks.