New? Pre-Purchase Children's Specialty Dining in Planner

RoyalGreg

Hello,

I'm new to Royal, but we have 2 cruises booked for 2024. The specialty dining options just opened up for our cruise next February, and I actually see the option to pay for our child (3 night = 32.95).

From my understanding (I've been lurking in the forums for a while now), previously you couldn't prepay for a child? Is this true? Is this a new "feature?"

My other question is that while we would like to bring him with us to Chops and Jamie's, we weren't planning on taking him with us to Wonderland. Therefore, if we prepay, it seems like we'll be wasting one of his meals (~$11).  Do you think it will be better for us to buy the package only for the adults, and then pay for him at the restaurant? Is there a chance that they'll be charging more for a child's meal on the ship now that you can prepurchase them in the planner?

I've tried to attach a screenshot, hopefully it worked.

Thanks from a new Royal Cruiser.

Screenshot 2023-03-02 163450.png

36 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

You could always prepurchase a 3N or Unlimited plan for children. But you can also wait until you board and pay the child's price for the restaurants you will attend. YMMV but they might be limited to the children's menu.

I guess I'm still a little confused, because of the answer given in the official FAQ (copied below, hopefully). To me, it seemed like you had to add the child on the ship?

Is there a way to keep the option open for our child to order off the adult menu? Does anyone have experience with the best way to go about that (without having to pay the adult price)?

Screenshot_2023-03-02-18-01-28-19_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

21 minutes ago, DoomSlayer said:

How old are the children?  I believe children under 6 are free and the kids price is for kids 6-11.

Our child will be 8 at the time of sailing, and is a pretty adventurous eater (for his age). We'd love to be able to get him an actual steak at chops, and share some good Italian food at Jamie's. We'll be happy to pay the child's rate, but I'm not sure if that will limit him to a children's menu? From what I've read, it seems like children are often given an option to order off the adult or children's menu?

I know they can choose in the Main Dining Room to eat off the kids or adult menu, but it I think they are limited to the kids menu in the specialty restaurants.  I am only going off what it says in the cruise planner under "important details".  Last time I did that with one of my kids, they wanted to eat off the kids menu, so we never asked about getting an adult entree.

image.png.285b51412ef295d13c44223dd7d24e48.png

First I want to apologize for slow responses... Since I'm new, my posts have to be approved by a moderator. I understand since it seems like there's been a lot of new trolls on the boards recently.

1 hour ago, DoomSlayer said:

I know they can choose in the Main Dining Room to eat off the kids or adult menu, but it I think they are limited to the kids menu in the specialty restaurants.  I am only going off what it says in the cruise planner under "important details".  Last time I did that with one of my kids, they wanted to eat off the kids menu, so we never asked about getting an adult entree.

image.png.285b51412ef295d13c44223dd7d24e48.png

That's also what I'm seeing on their website :⁠-⁠(

However I believe I've read reports from cruisers who said their kids were given the option to order from the adult menu (for the kid's price), but maybe I just dreamed it. Haha. We'll still be happy to share with our little guy if it comes to that.

Thats why I post YMMV (your mileage may vary) I don't have children, but I eat in specialty restaurants often. I have seen it both ways: some staff will enforce the children only ordering off the children's menu when you pay the $10 surcharge, some will not. I believe if you get the child's price 3N/Unlimited they can order whatever. But again that is based on some instances. 

2 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

Thats why I post YMMV (your mileage may vary) I don't have children, but I eat in specialty restaurants often. I have seen it both ways: some staff will enforce the children only ordering off the children's menu when you pay the $10 surcharge, some will not. I believe if you get the child's price 3N/Unlimited they can order whatever. But again that is based on some instances. 

Thank you very much. I certainly appreciate your insight.

We're totally ok with a YMMV situation. We'll be able to make the best of it no matter which menu he orders from. Not to mention, with all the changes going on in the cruise industry, who knows what we can expect nearly a year from now.