Caribbean in summer?

jbrinkm

We have friends who want to cruise with us and because we live in different places and have kids in school, we're having trouble finding a time to go that isn't summer. We'd love to do an itinerary that has CocoCay (preferable, but really any Caribbean itinerary) because we're worried the kids would be bored going to Canada. Those of you who have done Caribbean in the summer, how did you handle the heat/sun? We've always cruised in March or April before and even then, it can be hard to handle. My oldest and I are very fair skinned and have to be super careful to not burn terribly. Would the kids even have fun at CocoCay in August, for example? 

35 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

There are US beaches that will be hotter than Coco Cay in summer due to the breeze that Coco Cay gets. Just take the same precautions there that you would anywhere else in the sun

We do/will, but wondering if even the same precautions we would take in the US in the summer or Caribbean in the spring will be enough. We did Disney one year in August and we had to take a good 2-3 hour break in the afternoon back at the hotel in the AC to manage the heat and the sun, even with all of our precautions (sunscreen, reapply sunscreen, hats, mini fans, sun umbrellas, lots of water, UPF long sleeve swimwear, etc.). That doesn't really work when you only have one day in a port.

Good to hear that CocoCay has a breeze! 

3 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

We have friends who want to cruise with us and because we live in different places and have kids in school, we're having trouble finding a time to go that isn't summer. We'd love to do an itinerary that has CocoCay (preferable, but really any Caribbean itinerary) because we're worried the kids would be bored going to Canada. Those of you who have done Caribbean in the summer, how did you handle the heat/sun? We've always cruised in March or April before and even then, it can be hard to handle. My oldest and I are very fair skinned and have to be super careful to not burn terribly. Would the kids even have fun at CocoCay in August, for example? 

More jellyfish in July and August. The longer it's hotter, the more they are there. Use lots of safe sea sunscreen and water shoes. Long sleeve rashguarde swim shirts help too.

Heat-loving Texan here.  Here are some of my tips:

- Wear sunscreen and apply it *often*

- Hydrate!  This is different per person, but if I know I'm going to be in the heat / humidity all day, I start my day by drinking 64 ounces of water, and always have water on hand.

- Find shade.  I've never been to Coco Cay, but there should be some sort of umbrellas / pavilions where you can stay in the shade.

- Wear protective / UV-resistant clothing.  They're called "rash guards" and it's what you see surfers wear.

- wear a hat (not just a ball cap).  I have a obnoxiously large straw hat with a brim all the way around that I take with me.  I know I look like a "tourist" when I wear it (I am one, so that's okay 🙂 ) but it'll make you cooler.

- light colored / breathable clothing is a must

Hydration is really the key though.  You can also build your tolerance to the heat on board by being out on deck more often on your way to Coco Cay.  I think you'll be fine and have a blast.  Like the previous poster said, being on a beach with the wind blowing will be VASTLY different than being in the swamp of Orlando in Disney with pavement all around you reflecting/soaking up the heat.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised 🙂