Haiti/CoCoCay cell roaming options

ecgz88

3 hours ago, ecgz88 said:

I'm from Canada  will buy a US eSIM plan, so St.Thomas/Puerto Rico should work for US plan right?

Labadee,Haiti do we need a roaming plan? CoCoCay I assume have wifi everywhere?

Thanks!

CocoCay has wifi extended from the ship in many but not all places.  The primary areas are covered but there are some signs here and there indicating no wifi beyond this point.  

Labadee does not extend the ship wifi, yet.

Labadee does have cellular data coverage at 4G type speeds.  It is included with my TMobile plan so it's not something I think about, I simply turn off airplane mode and go.  I suspect it may be included with other carrier international plans because I've noticed several times it does seem to slow down later in the day once more people have found it and turned off airplane mode.  One cell antenna with thousands of devices will slow down once all those devices start uploading all those pictures they are taking to the cloud.  At times it's more like 3G speeds once other users start loading it up.  My last cellular speed test in July was ~9Mb down and 3.5 Mb up.  

CocoCay also has cellular coverage but the same caveat applies.  It's not bad at first but the cell antennas are on nearby Great Stirrup Cay, the NCL private destination "next door" so when several ships are involved from both CocoCay and GSC it can slow down.  

The cell service in the Bahamas is provided by BTC (Bahamas Telephone Company) while I think Haiti may be Digicell and one other common Caribbean cell company.  St. Thomas and Puerto Rico are covered natively for most if not all major US cell providers so it's not something any of us think about, we just turn off airplane mode and go.

If your roaming eSim states it has coverage at your destinations it should work.