Port taxes on drinks with unlimited drink package

Depends on the port.

I know New York and Texas specifically have wonky liquor laws.  RCL gets around this in Texas by serving a "limited drink menu" on the first day (before you get 12 miles out, which is where international waters start).  

EDIT:  Here's a good article on it

https://www.cruzely.com/answered-first-day-drink-packages-and-alcohol-on-galveston-cruises/

Edited by TexanTwoStep
added link

NCL did it to me while in Los Angeles. It wasn't the amount but the surprise and inconsistent way they did it that annoyed me. They had some signs up but it was on the other side of the first bar I visited and the bartender didn't say anything. But they didn't actually charge me tax on the drinks for that bar and the restaurant. I went to the pool deck and saw the sign and they did charge me up there. What the heck?  Does that mean they could just pay the tax themselves and not pass it on to the guests? There's no way they are getting away with not paying the tax to the government. Maybe it's just NCL since they seem to find every way to annoy me. Especially with making things not so "Free at Sea".

Does Royal/Celebrity do it in LA? It didn't happen to me in Miami on Celebrity. The Texas/NY thing sounds like a different deal. The NCL bartender/server mentioned Alaska does something too. Or maybe it was Seattle.