Discover Scuba recommendation? - Cozumel, near port

jbrinkm

• 3 weeks later...
  • jbrinkm changed the title to Discover Scuba recommendation? - Cozumel, near port

Any of the 25 dive shops in and around the International Cruise Terminal (the terminal where Royal Caribbean docks) are going to give nearly identical Discover Scuba experiences. The shore area in that let's say 1-2 mile stretch is also all the same. That's to say there is not a particularly outstanding reef or attraction nor is there an area where it is something less than let's say the dive shop 3 doors down. There's kinda some stuff there to see, it's shallow,  and it is a sandy bottom; overall an ideal Discover Scuba environment.

If I were going to do a Discover Scuba off a cruise ship in Coz I would not discount the Royal Caribbean Discover Scuba excursion because it is about $20 more than you can get it for privately. The difference is going to be the rental gear Royal has onboard is going to be newer and in a whole lot better shape than the area dive shops, And, this is the big one; you are going to get a longer, more personalized experience. The classroom time and the time in the water will be the same no matter where you go, but you will be spending much time with the resident, on-board Royal instructor. Example: the fitting of the gear the day before, the walk down the dock to the dive site, maybe lunch or beers afterwards, or just bumping into one another later on the voyage.

Most of the cruise lines in Coz use Sand Dollar Sports. You may save a few bucks by booking it yourself but on my next cruise SDS is $2 more privately, not counting transportation to/from for a regular dive than through the ship. 

The ship's Discover Dive while I'm there is $98.  SDS's private Discover dive is $84 but that doesn't include transportation.   Not to say you maybe could get a Discovery dive cheaper somewhere else. There are a lot of places in Coz to dive.

7 hours ago, bobroo said:

Any of the 25 dive shops in and around the International Cruise Terminal (the terminal where Royal Caribbean docks) are going to give nearly identical Discover Scuba experiences. The shore area in that let's say 1-2 mile stretch is also all the same. That's to say there is not a particularly outstanding reef or attraction nor is there an area where it is something less than let's say the dive shop 3 doors down. There's kinda some stuff there to see, it's shallow,  and it is a sandy bottom; overall an ideal Discover Scuba environment. If I were going to do a Discover Scuba off a cruise ship in Coz I would not discount the Royal Caribbean Discover Scuba excursion because it is about $20 more than you can get it for privately. The difference is going to be the rental gear Royal has onboard is going to be newer and in a whole lot better shape than the area dive shops, And, this is the big one; you are going to get a longer, more personalized experience. The classroom time and the time in the water will be the same no matter where you go, but you will be spending much time with the resident, on-board Royal instructor. Example: the fitting of the gear the day before, the walk down the dock to the dive site, maybe lunch or beers afterwards, or just bumping into one another later on the voyage.

There is no RCCL Discover Scuba in the afternoon, and my teens didn't want something scheduled at 8am on vacation so we booked a short tour in the morning and then are planning to do the Scuba at 1pm near the terminal. From our snorkeling experiences, I know that I'm ok with just being off the shore in that stretch of the island to see the little colorful fish. Essentially, we just want to see if we like Scuba and want to pursue more of it, or certification in the future. We're going to do our short morning activity, get a taxi back to the ship, eat a quick lunch and then walk over to a dive shop. It is less about cost and more about timing and convenience for us.

After the research I've done, the two I listed above have afternoon Discover Scuba offerings that take place in the afternoon, are within walking distance, and have really good reviews online. I don't know if Sand Dollar being used by the ships is a pro or a con? I guess they are experienced and safe if cruise lines use them. 

To narrow down my question, I guess I'll ask about quality of instruction, staff and equipment at either place (or another place that fits our needs). 

On 12/18/2022 at 5:09 PM, jbrinkm said:

There is no RCCL Discover Scuba in the afternoon, and my teens didn't want something scheduled at 8am on vacation so we booked a short tour in the morning and then are planning to do the Scuba at 1pm near the terminal. From our snorkeling experiences, I know that I'm ok with just being off the shore in that stretch of the island to see the little colorful fish. Essentially, we just want to see if we like Scuba and want to pursue more of it, or certification in the future. We're going to do our short morning activity, get a taxi back to the ship, eat a quick lunch and then walk over to a dive shop. It is less about cost and more about timing and convenience for us.

After the research I've done, the two I listed above have afternoon Discover Scuba offerings that take place in the afternoon, are within walking distance, and have really good reviews online. I don't know if Sand Dollar being used by the ships is a pro or a con? I guess they are experienced and safe if cruise lines use them. 

To narrow down my question, I guess I'll ask about quality of instruction, staff and equipment at either place (or another place that fits our needs). 

I'd personally pick Sand Dollar for their affiliation with the cruise lines (which I did for my Feb cruise even thought the ship's dive was sold out) but the standards are pretty much the same so I'm sure you'll have a good time what ever you pick. 

Be aware that diving is an addicting and expensive hobby.  I always wanted to dive but never got around to it until I did a discovery dive in Grand Cayman.  I went home and did the PADI class, then my open water dives on a cruise to the ABC islands.  I was 65 when I got certified. Did 5 or 6 dives on cruises then covid hit. Started diving again on cruises last winter/spring. Just got back from another cruise to the ABCs and dived 6 times in 3 days. I live in the north but I'm strictly a warm water, cruise diver.