xSAILEDx Odyssey of the Seas - May 18, 2023 - May 28, 2023 (10 Night Greek Isles Cruise)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We're hoping the Edition opens in time....they took our reservation, but the opening date keeps slipping!  We liked Rome Cavalieri (mainly because we can use points and because it is home to La Pergola), but it looked to us like it was a bit far from some of the ancient sites we're hoping to be within walking distance to.  The W Rome is well-reviewed by other American travelers, too, so we're also considering that.  I would appreciate any other suggestions people have, too.  

Not looking to hijack the thread, but does anyone have any "must do" restaurants, too?  We're hoping to stop by Mirabelle and Aroma before the cruise (and maybe La Pergola, but I'm told that's a tricky reservation to secure).  

• 2 months later...
On 1/14/2023 at 2:49 PM, Dina said:

Where in Rome is everyone staying?

Rome: Sister family and brother family staying at the Westin excelsior (I think that's what it's called). Hubby and I are at a place called "B&B A picture of Rome" that we found in booking.com.  We have an early breakfast at the Vatican (a tour thing. The Pope isn't expecting us lol) and wanted to stay closeby in a local type room and at a reasonable price. Hubby and I are spending a few nights in Florence before the group gets to Rome for their pre cruise shenanigans. So this trip is getting a bit pricey. 😬 

I'm so bummed that I didn't book the Northstar or a sea day cabana on time. So much is sold out! If anyone doesn't want their reservation, gimme gimme gimme.

We put in our RoyalUp bids for a sky class suite awhile ago. We have sea class in a junior suite now, but I'd certainly prefer guaranteed seating at the coastal kitchen and some free internet if I can get it!  I hear we may not know the results until the day of! But I saw some other cruisers from a different ship got theirs weeks early. I'd love to know so I can get all giddy about whatever we do. 

I ordered some door magnets. Except for hubby, sister, and me, this is the family's first cruise. I want to do as many fun things for them as I can. Also bought my ducks! My first time hiding them. Then what do I do? 😂😂😂 Still need to find the embarrassing family cruise t-shirts. I found some funny sayings, but I don't like the actual shirts.

I guess that's enough out of me for this post! See y'all in Rome!

17 hours ago, anneglubis said:

I'm so bummed that I didn't book the Northstar or a sea day cabana on time. So much is sold out! If anyone doesn't want their reservation, gimme gimme gimme.

We put in our RoyalUp bids for a sky class suite awhile ago. We have sea class in a junior suite now, but I'd certainly prefer guaranteed seating at the coastal kitchen and some free internet 

I didn’t know we could book a cabana in advance. How did I miss this !!!? We are also bidding for an upgrade so fingers crossed!  This is my 8 th RCCL cruise…. What is this about ducks?

Ducks ducks ducks... I HEARD and READ because I've never DONE that people hide little ducks in the public areas of cruise ships for other people to find. I didn't think to have the cruise inscribed on the ducks this time, but I just read that and it sounds cool. Anyway, you leave a note for the person to take a photo and post somewhere (I can ask to post on here, for instance, since I don't have Facebook.) Then the person who found it keeps it or hides it again or whatever. Seems like a silly no-harm thing to do when there's nothing else. 

Hubby wants to make clues for them and put cash underneath. We have a couple of young women coming and they can go try to find them before the rest of the cruisers. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! 3.5 weeks away! I put in for a bid and it was accepted last week. We already had an ocean view balcony but we bid on a few and the large ocean view balcony was accepted so they may have already finalized the process since we were sent new docs and set sail pass. I hear we need Covid test prior, did you guys hear the same thing?

Glad you asked.  I assumed the answer was no.  But I just called +1.800.327.6700. (from the cruise documents) and asked the Royal Caribbean International rep who answered.  He checked all the cities and said we have no testing requirements for any of our spots and no documentation will be required.  (He of course said Royal Caribbean recommends we are vaccinated and have stuff with us.  But there is no requirement.)  He was very helpful and I had hardly any hold time. Just in case anyone wants to verify for themselves.  🙂  See y'all soon! 

Oh, not that you asked, but I read in the RC cruise docs that we need a visa for Turkey.  I did this online - super easy.  $50 per person, basically.  

Citizens from many countries, including the United States and Canada are required to secure an e-visa before leaving home unless otherwise noted. You can request and pay for your e-Visa through a brief threestep online process, using this link www.evisa.gov.tr/en/ . After printing your e-visa, place it inside your passport.

You do not need a visa for a day trip in Turkey if you arrive in a cruise ship   

“U.S. citizens do typically need an e-visa to enter Turkiye, but cruise ship passengers are permitted to come ashore without a visa for day visits by special arrangements. In short, you may visit Turkiye on the day trip from your cruise ship without being in possession of your passport.”

© https://tr.usembassy.gov. u-s-citize..

U.S. Citizen Services FAQs - U.S.

Embassy & Consulates in Türkiye

22 hours ago, anneglubis said:

Citizens from many countries, including the United States and Canada are required to secure an e-visa before leaving home unless otherwise noted. You can request and pay for your e-Visa through a brief threestep online process, using this link www.evisa.gov.tr/en/ . After printing your e-visa, place it inside your passport.

But look in the “additional information” column. It says “In transit Cruise guests who are US citizens or Canadian do not require a Vias from Turkey” We are “in transit” on this cruise as we are not embarking or debarking  in Turkey. We are just day visitors. 

• 2 weeks later...

No. I did not get the Jr Suite even though I bid the highest amount. I looked last night and Suite Class is sold out as are all Balcony cabins. Still some inside cabins available. Still very happy to have my mid-ship ocean view balcony. I’m sure some people won the up grades, it just wasn’t me 

Oh. I'm sorry to hear that. Did you get a thanks for trying email, Dina? I'm more confused than ever. Seems like they wouldn't tell you no until the very last minute since, like someone wrote, a person might not show up etc. Dang. I love a balcony room, though. You're gonna have such a fun cruise! I'm reading a blog of a lady on our ship right now going to the holy land itinerary. Looks like tons of fun on there 😁😁😁

20 hours ago, anneglubis said:

Oh. I'm sorry to hear that. Did you get a thanks for trying email, Dina? I'm more confused than ever. Seems like they wouldn't tell you no until the very last minute since

No  I didn’t get an email but I checked and there are no suite class rooms available in the ship so unless someone drops off at the last minute I will not be upgraded

Well heck. That's the same thing I was thinking.

Nonetheless... Can't wait to get out there! Hubby and I planned a few days touring around Italy a little before the cruise. But now I'm exhausted from work and I just want to get settled on the ship. Lesson learned to do the huffing and puffing land tours after we've relaxed on the cruise next time. 

Well, I'll jump things off with our official vacation photo. DH and I are headed to Florence for a couple alone days, sister joining us the last day in Florence, 3 of us train to Rome for a few days with the rest of the group: DH, me, sister, sister's bff, brother, SIL, niece (21 and a free spirit), and niece (24 and a nurse loner). My favorite? Sister’s BFF. We've traveled with him before and it's a dream.

Kick off photo: carrot cake at the sky club, after waiting to get in (in Jacksonville Florida lol).

20230511_170924.jpg

20230511_154241.jpg

• AshleyDillo changed the title to xSAILEDx Odyssey of the Seas - May 18, 2023 - May 28, 2023 (10 Night Greek Isles Cruise)