Chartered Jazz Cruise on a Celebrity Ship

SpicyCherry

We did a Rock and Romance cruise this past winter.  It was very good, constant music but you don't get the perks you get with any status you might have through X (we are elite). You have to pay for drinks etc.  We did buy a bottle of bourbon at the first port and openly brought/walked it back aboard and drank it the rest of the week.  Of course we also brought wine aboard in our carry ons. There was one night which included free drinks for everyone.   YMMV.

11 minutes ago, mac66 said:

We did a Rock and Romance cruise this past winter.  It was very good, constant music but you don't get the perks you get with any status you might have through X (we are elite). You have to pay for drinks etc.  We did buy a bottle of bourbon at the first port and openly brought/walked it back aboard and drank it the rest of the week.  Of course we also brought wine aboard in our carry ons. There was one night which included free drinks for everyone.   

Thanks....just got off the phone with Jazz Cruises. We are Elite as well and they confirmed that no Captain Club Perks are included, nor Bev Pkgs, Gratuities or Internet with Suites. If you book a Suite you do have access to The Retreat but Luminae only for breakfast and then it becomes a Specialty Restaurant open to everyone for dinner, for a charge, of course. The same for AquaClass & Blu. The Charter is on Summit which looks like a beautiful ship actually. The prices are are little pricey but think we might go for it. Sounds like a nice Jazzy experience, if nothing else. We will definitely bring wine!!!

16 hours ago, SpicyCherry said:

Thanks....just got off the phone with Jazz Cruises. We are Elite as well and they confirmed that no Captain Club Perks are included, nor Bev Pkgs, Gratuities or Internet with Suites. If you book a Suite you do have access to The Retreat but Luminae only for breakfast and then it becomes a Specialty Restaurant open to everyone for dinner, for a charge, of course. The same for AquaClass & Blu. The Charter is on Summit which looks like a beautiful ship actually. The prices are are little pricey but think we might go for it. Sounds like a nice Jazzy experience, if nothing else. We will definitely bring wine!!!

We were on the Summit as well for our R&R cruise last Feb. It was a good time.  We were also on the Summit this past August for a 9 night Iceland, Greenland, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia to Boston cruise. It's a nice ship.

The only thing about those music cruises is that when you go back on a regular cruise, you wonder where all music went.  Except on port days, the concerts run about 12+ hours a day.

4 hours ago, mac66 said:

We were on the Summit as well for our R&R cruise last Feb. It was a good time.  We were also on the Summit this past August for a 9 night Iceland, Greenland, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia to Boston cruise. It's a nice ship.

The only thing about those music cruises is that when you go back on a regular cruise, you wonder where all music went.  Except on port days, the concerts run about 12+ hours a day.

I hate to admit this(out loud) but I've become a bit of a 'New Ship Snob'....I know, it's shameful....so never seriously considered Summit because it was 'OLD'. But when I became interested in this Jazz Cruise, I checked it out. It looks like a really beautiful ship and I don't think I will be disappointed, even after sailing on Edge first. 

On 10/19/2022 at 4:09 PM, SpicyCherry said:

I hate to admit this(out loud) but I've become a bit of a 'New Ship Snob'....I know, it's shameful....so never seriously considered Summit because it was 'OLD'. But when I became interested in this Jazz Cruise, I checked it out. It looks like a really beautiful ship and I don't think I will be disappointed, even after sailing on Edge first. 

Interesting....we've never had any interest in the Edge class ships. We tend to book a cruise based on itinerary not on ship type.  One of our favorite X ships is the Constellation. We had one great cruise on her once and would do her again in a heart beat but they've moved her to Europe mostly.

Having said that, I am sure there are some big differences between Edge and Summit but you'll be so busy with your Jazz thing you won't notice or care.

1 hour ago, mac66 said:

Interesting....we've never had any interest in the Edge class ships. We tend to book a cruise based on itinerary not on ship type.  One of our favorite X ships is the Constellation. We had one great cruise on her once and would do her again in a heart beat but they've moved her to Europe mostly.

Having said that, I am sure there are some big differences between Edge and Summit but you'll be so busy with your Jazz thing you won't notice or care.

To be perfectly honest, the real reason we chose Edge was because I wanted to sail with Captain Kate but she 'Abandoned Ship' literally and went to Beyond. Decided not to try to chase the woman down, so stayed with Edge. 

In 2019, sailed on Infinity to Panama Canal.....a glorious 15N itinerary and thoroughly enjoyed the ship. Have been on Constellation too....never have been disappointed by any Celebrity ship truthfully.....and I think you're right in that the Jazz Cruise lineup sounds like it can make for a pretty packed schedule. But we enjoy the music so looking forward to it.

We've been on the Reflection and the Equinox a couple times. And of course the Connie and the Summit.

We're heading back to Royal for our next two cruises. Wasn't very impressed with X on the 3 cruises we did this year. Service and food weren't really up to standard on the 2 Summit cruises. That was understandable on the Rock and Romance cruise, last February with it being a charter, not acceptable on the 12 night out of Iceland we did in August.   The 12 night Equinox cruise in March was better but lacking. Again service and food weren't really up to par. Or maybe it's just 12 nights is too long on a ship.  Don't know if this is a post Covid thing with them trying to get staff and supplies or it's the new standard. 

Anyway, have fun on your Jazz cruise.

5 hours ago, mac66 said:

We've been on the Reflection and the Equinox a couple times. And of course the Connie and the Summit.

We're heading back to Royal for our next two cruises. Wasn't very impressed with X on the 3 cruises we did this year. Service and food weren't really up to standard on the 2 Summit cruises. That was understandable on the Rock and Romance cruise, last February with it being a charter, not acceptable on the 12 night out of Iceland we did in August.   The 12 night Equinox cruise in March was better but lacking. Again service and food weren't really up to par. Or maybe it's just 12 nights is too long on a ship.  Don't know if this is a post Covid thing with them trying to get staff and supplies or it's the new standard. 

Anyway, have fun on your Jazz cruise.

IYHO, have you found service/food is not up to par generally on Charters? I certainly hope that is not the case. These charters are not cheap, by any far stretch of the imagination. On top of that, you aren’t getting the same perks you normally would receive as either a Captain’s Club member or a Suite guest. The least they should do is treat ya’ right, feed ya’ right. 
In any event, primarily, the reason we’re going for it is the experience and music. So I’m sure we will definitely enjoy it…..Thanks.

I thought the less than stellar dinner service on the R&R cruise was due to the fact that in order to feed everyone they split the attendees into two groups Silver and Gold. Silver ate while the gold was at the feature concert and vice versa.  Of course that's normal on a cruise, early and late dinners/shows.  The cruise was sold out, the ship packed. The dining room was very crowded and we never sat in the same place twice. Service was rushed, food sometimes cold. The staff was scrambling.  But we met another couple and started hanging out and going to dinner together so it was tolerable. Go with the flow.

• 8 months later...

Our Botti At Sea sailing is getting closer. We just got our Celebrity reservation number so now we are officially in their system and can book through Cruise Planner. Since this will be our first Theme cruise, we found this webinar helpful...a little long, but helpful!!