5 day France and Italy cruise

GG CRUISE

Hello

First time in Europe, sailing in September the 5 day France Italy royal caribean cruise. 

Barcelona, Spain

Nice, France

Rome, Italy 

Florence, Italy

Provence, France 

Barcelona, Spain

Can someone share a itinerary and help me choose excursions for the trip? 

Cruise excursions vs private sights ? 

Ports that are worth walking and exploring vs a excursion tour? 

Thanks

14 hours ago, GG CRUISE said:

Hello

First time in Europe, sailing in September the 5 day France Italy royal caribean cruise. 

Barcelona, Spain

Nice, France

Rome, Italy 

Florence, Italy

Provence, France 

Barcelona, Spain

Thanks

You can find an itinerary if you look up your cruise dates under Royal's "search cruise" function and click on that cruise.

Your invoice will show actual arrival and departure times (but remember about 30 minutes or so later to leave the ship and return 30 minutes before departure - that is when the gangway is removed).

Rome (Civitavecchia) would be an excursion day -- it's at least an hour by train, I believe.  You don't want to get left behind, so I'd look at Royal's excursion.  You can do an "at your leisure" excursion at Rome and Florence, which pays for transportation and allows you to walk around on your own.

We enjoyed Eze from Villefranche/Nice.

We haven't had time to sight-see in Barcelona yet, that will be later in the fall.  You can easily find maps online or look at videos about Barcelona.  Beware the pickpockets.  

Royal has a number of excursions from Provence.  

Do your research, and have fun.  No two travelers are exactly alike, so it's sometimes difficult to trust online reviews.

One tip is to avoid long tours back-to-back.  The walking can be fatiguing, especially in warm weather.

So, agree regards Rome. Would highly recommend a Royal excursion on that port day. The port is quite some distance from the city, and inevitably the big attractions (colosseum in particular) have long queues if you do it yourself. You don't want to get left behind. 

Barcelona we did ourselves, but was slightly hectic. Tourist bus around the city gives a good overview of the city and we had pre-booked the Cathedral (which is spectacular). 

Florence again, I remember being a drive between port and city. I did a Royal excursion which was essentially a brief tour and then 3 or so hours of free time. 

21 hours ago, GG CRUISE said:

Hello

Barcelona, Spain

Nice, France

Rome, Italy 

Florence, Italy

Provence, France 

Barcelona, Spain

Thanks

I used this book extensively during our recent Mediterranean cruise.

Rick Steves Mediterranean Cruise Ports (Rick Steves Travel Guide): Steves, Rick: 9781641710954: Amazon.com: Books