Need some help with where/how to go about our unvaccinated toddler's pre tests...

Hi All,

If you have gone through the process of getting your unvaccinated child a test within that 3 day window, where did you go for their testing? What kind of documentation did you need to ask for?

My apologies if this is a repeat topic/question. I feel like it took a hot minute for me to coordinate COVID testing for my husband and myself but trying to understand what exactly I need and where to go for my 3 year old's pre COVID testing has officially confused me. 

Thank you in advance for any guidance!

Meg

Hello, 

Last year I took my kids to a place called curative. Depending on the location they will either do the PCR or the Rapid NAAT type which are both accepted by RCL. The Rapid NAAT is nice because you get results pretty quickly. I know for a fact that Walgreens offers the rapid NAAT, I am unsure about CVS. Also be prepared to test on embarkation day for your child. If you are traveling with other family members that are vaccinated have them board the ship first as there will be a separate line for kids that need the embarkation testing (At least this was the case at Port Liberty in NJ last November). 

@Matt sorry for the multiple responses... I just tried to schedule an appointment for my son to be tested and I am not able to do so because he is not 3 years old (his birthday is in July). I made an appointment under my name and am hoping they can sort it out then. Worst case, I guess we can take him to an urgent care?

I can't help but laugh at this point hahaha

@leesam82 thank you so much for that link, I am definitely looking into it. I was aware of the on the day testing. Organizing our testing has been my obsession because I know how much of an issue messing it up could cause hahaha.

I never received the notification or email that the testing had opened up and missed the testing slots before our 11am check-in time. Called and they said our options were to show up before anyone else and pray they take mercy on our souls and let us test before our 11am check-in or, possibly end up on the boat much later than expected. It was such a bummer because I had been watching the app and my emails like a hawk because that had been my fear. Sigh. Luckily we are local in Orlando, so getting there early isn't too big of a deal. Wish us luck!

@msfraserLuckily I believe that RCL has moved away from NAAT to the antigen testing (10 min quick test) for unvaccinated kids on the day of embarkation which is great because you get results much faster. When we went on our cruise in this past November we did not get to embark till nearly 3 hours after our scheduled embarkation time due to the wait to get the kids tested and waiting for the testing results. I would also pack a small snack and something for your little one to play with  just in case you get stuck waiting. I think it is going to be up to the port but hopefully if your family arrives a little earlier they will just let you test.  Good Luck and Fun Sailing!

@leesam82thank you so much! We are so excited, it's going to be our first cruise! I'll be packing plenty of snacks for my son, and my husband for embarkation day, as well as some toys and an iPad just incase we end up spending more time than we would like on land before heading on to the boat. Thanks for the tips!