Anyone Experienced Gluten Free Dining?

TinaD

This is our first cruise.  We’ll be taking an Alaskan cruise on Radiance of the Seas. I know nothing about how the dining works. I’m very concerned because I must eat completely gluten free.  After initially booking a very basic package, we upgraded to a Grand Suite, which, to my understanding, has a broader selection of restaurants. I’m hoping that may help with my food choices.   I’ve called and they’ve made note of it. (Don’t know what that means exactly.)  Does anyone have any experience with GF dining while onboard ship?  Is it safe?  What are my options like? Did you have any problems? Do I need to ask/remind every time?  Etc. Any insight would be most appreciated. 

My wife has to eat gluten free and I have to say, cruising on Royal Caribbean has been the best vacation dining experience for her! She never needs to worry about feeling like she's experiencing a problem with cross contamination, having too little to choose from, or feeling dissatisfied by the experience.

The staff is always very accommodating to her needs throughout the entire ship. I have made several posts about it on this site whenever this subject comes up. Here are just a few posts I have made. 

You will most likely only need to mention it the the MDR staff once, they will make a note of it and will then begin to bring you the NEXT evening's menu at the end of your meal so you can make choices ahead of time and have the kitchen modify items you would like to be gluten free. (They made my wife her own personal size apple pie twice!). If you frequent another location on ship, the staff may even remember you and make suggestions or alterations for you.

FYI: Sorrento's Pizza should have gluten free pizza upon request (and possibly Udi's cookies). Also, some items in display cases and in the Windjammer may already be marked gluten free on their signage. (Example below) Many ships have a large sign in the Wind Jammer that reads "Gluten-Free Corner", a designated section of the buffet that contains nothing but items that are gluten free.

WJ Breakfast.JPG