rooms

1 hour ago, celticmermaid418 said:

When do room assignments come out.  this is a first cruise and unknowingly selected they choose for me and now they will not let me change to pick my own.  Concerned about an obstructed balcony view

Literally any time from the day you book to the day you board but it's generally a few weeks before the trip.  Guaranty rooms (their term for they pick your room) can be anywhere in the category you booked.  Even the most obstructed balcony room still has a view.  There are plenty of pictures online to give you an idea.  Just search for your ship name and some specific room numbers that are considered obstructed to get an idea what is out there.  Many people are happy to save some money by accepting a random room.  You can always change by cancelling and rebooking but that may also come with a cost depending on how/where/when you booked originally.

I do a lot of GTY cabins when I can save a decent amount of money.  They normally get assigned about the time you can do your check in.  With this being your first cruise it will be the best cabin you have ever had.  GTY cabins are good for people that do not care where they stay.  I do not spend much time in the cabin except to sleep and cleanup.  I also sleep with a TV on so location does not bother me.  Going forward you just need to decide what is important to you and what type of person you are.