Pcr for unvaccinated kids and worried it could be positive weeks/month later!

McJamie46

Hiya! We sail in 3 weeks and my son isn’t Vaxed so he will require a neg PCR test! (Antigen not an option for unvaccinated) unfortunately sometimes pcr tests are so sensitive then can pick up fragments of an old infection from months ago. Anyone have experience with this to help me feel better? We may have had covid a few weeks ago… mild case for him. So frustrating  to plan a trip and be so worried we may not go…. Any medical or lab folks that can give  us some insight…. For kids, does that happen often? Thanks!

I would recommend having a PCR done now to be certain, and then one before the cruise. I did the same with my son who tested positive Dec 28 (vax’d / via home test) in early Feb when Canada still required PCR to get home. I didn’t want to run the risk of getting stuck in Florida. His test came back Negative. Hopefully you have the same outcome. 

We are in the same situation! Covid + 1/18/22. Booked to cruise 3/27. 2 unvaxed kids. Did at home rapids on us all again to attempt to ease my anxiety (of course all neg) and anxiety still high because the PCR is what im so anxious about for the kids! I am a nurse and was talking with the infectious disease doc at work last week and she said it is possible for the PCR to come back positive but it probably wont. Lol probably wont does not help my anxiety about it! For unvaxed kids they should be allowing 90 day recovery letter with a rapid test. A rapid test is more accurate as to whether or not someone is currently shedding the virus and infecting others when they were previously infected! 

We are in the same boat! My toddler just tested positive last week and we sail the 20th. Carnival and Disney are accepting documentation of recovery for unvaccinated children but Royal keeps insisting they will not. They said to test him ten days out and if he is still positive we can refund the cruise, which is awful because this is a rebooking from winter break cruise when my older vaccinated teenager came down with Covid. I've been on with Royal for hours about this and then on top of it they reassigned our adjoining rooms to rooms not adjoining or near each other. Another mess I have to clean up not even sure my toddler will be able to board. Makes no sense! Royal claims they are following CDC guidelines to take place in their program but the program clearly states the documentation letter will be accepted AND children under two will also be tested. Two parts Royal is not honoring.