First cruise questions about shore excursions

RMarieSzyman

Hi, I don't know what I should do since I'm really rather confused about all this since it's my first time.  I'm going on Allure 7-nights to Nassau, St. Maarten, and St. Thomas.  While there are a lot of excursions that interest me, I don't want to spend all my time doing scheduled activities, and I do want some beach time, but I don't want to miss anything either.  I'm in such a quandry.
 - Must I book an excursion just to have some beach time?  Can't I just get off the ship with others that just want to dip their toes in the water, or isn't anyone allowed to just disembark at will.
 - I'm guessing from what I've seen that each excursion is only booked once daily so I couldn't leave with an earlier group and return with a later group to get that beach time, correct?
This may be my only opportunity to cruise, so I want to get it right.  Aargh!
I need some advice from seasoned cruisers.  I understand that things may be different with Covid restrictions, etc. than they were previously.

Thanks!  Roberta

You are right that with Covid, rules are constantly changing.  Depending on when you are cruising, you may or may not be able to just get off the ship without a booked excursion.  Under normal circumstances, the answer is yes.  You can just walk off the ship and wander around the port, do some shopping, grab a taxi to the beach, etc.  In fact, many of the touristy things to do can be done cheaper through third party services or doing it completely by yourself from getting your own taxi to standing in line and buying tickets directly at the attraction.  However, if it is your first and only cruise, there is some peace of mind in booking an excursion through Royal because the ship will wait if there are delays on the official excursions.  If you are on your own and hit traffic and are late for the ship, it WILL leave without you.