Royal Caribbean Blog

4 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

An odd one, but, being social. I'm largely an introvert when not on a cruise ship.

Agreed.  After retirement I'm almost a hermit.  On the cruise I talk to the theatre Production Manager, members of the RC Singers and Dancers, and every Headline act, giving my elevator pitch  of free stills for their books or websites.  Hector Ruiz (Hector Is Magic), Solomon Jaye,  and ratpack singer Gary Williams are as friendly and outgoing in real life as they are in their acts.  Hector's assistant even tried to set me up with her mother in Barcelona (we'll see how that goes).

Without a couple of cameras, I'd never think about speaking to a performer or member of the production staff.

The good and bad thing about a cruise is that almost nobody knows who you are.

3 hours ago, Floski said:

Laying out by the pool or in the Solarium in only my bathing suit (swimming costume!).

When i try to lay out at the beach here, inevitably some well-doers will try to drag me 

back out to deep water.  That's bad enough, but when they start trying to pour water 

down my blowhole, then I get upset!

IT'S NOT A BLOWHOLE!!!

OMG.... Allure better sail, I have to meet you! Seems like your family and mine will get along great. What a sense of humor. (Not creepy like) I will be on the look out as I will be for @twangster. Just to high five and cheers our love of sailing. 

1 hour ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

This is probably the biggest thing for me as well. My job requires me available for calls and emails at all times (often answering emails while on vacation) but when on a cruise my phone goes in the safe as soon as the cabin is available and I truly disconnect!

Sigh.............I really miss disconnecting 😥

A cruise is the one time I don't have to worry about the inevitable "I know you're on vacation, but . . . " texts.  🙄

One by far, twilight on the high-seas...i love seeing the atmosphere & distant conditions during twilight...love it.

2nd: a good beverage(😏) while enjoying the pool with the Mrs. & friends; and, specifically on Oasis Class, a good beverage(😏) at Trellis Bar during the early evening, with the Mrs. friends, and strangers.

Finally...Mingling. People are interesting & share really fascinating tales & experiences. I really enjoy the many conversations with strangers & believe it or not, one can actually learn something new or pov from the casual interactions. 

Putting myself first, and not feeling guilty about it.

I'm a widowed dad of 3 kids. My wife passed away when our twin girls were 3 and our son was 6. Now that the girls are 18 and my son is 21 I can cruise solo and not feel bad about not spending every second and every dollar on them.

They are great kids, but I need my "me" time.

1 hour ago, alamode123 said:

Putting myself first, and not feeling guilty about it.

I'm a widowed dad of 3 kids. My wife passed away when our twin girls were 3 and our son was 6. Now that the girls are 18 and my son is 21 I can cruise solo and not feel bad about not spending every second and every dollar on them.

They are great kids, but I need my "me" time.

I'd say you've earned a solo cruise

For me it is the unplugging of the electronics to the outside world and visiting outside places. My workplace is worldwide so I receive emails and calls 24/7 and have not had a non-communication vacation since January 2019, even though we have forced "vacation reduction" during Thanksgiving and Christmas. Going in "airplane" mode when I step onboard the ship is one of the big things I have missed during this pandemic. Visiting foreign ports and seeing old friends is what we are getting more excited for.

Living inland makes sitting on the balcony watching the deep blue sea as we sail toward ports of call, a special event for us. In some areas of the Caribbean the flying fish come flying out of the waves and really put on a show so couple it with a nice glass of wine and we are happy cruisers🤠

We just enjoy totally relaxing, eating great food, drinking delicious wine and not having to make any "adult" decisions whatsoever while on a ship.

I hope and pray that our September B2B on Symphony sails...the latest CDC test sailing pronouncements concern me to the core.

Staying up late!  I am an early to bed girl at home, but I always want to do "one more thing" on a cruise.  

Also, not worrying about if anyone else needs anything.  I don't need to make sure I've got snacks, drinks, entertainment for my family on a cruise.  (They do still ask if I've brought the sunscreen 🤪 )

Karaoke. No seriously. I would NEVER do this in the real world, except maybe in Japan after a business meeting where it's totally socially acceptable and expected to participate in drunken karaoke sessions. But i don't know man, the drink package got me BRAVE. LOL. And line dancing. I don't know what it is (drink package again, who am I kidding?) but I love me some line dancing on the pool deck. I am terrible, but I don't care. 

Also, I love to try different foods. I love that I can order whatever I want and try ALL the things. I would never do that in the real world.