Jump to content
SpeedNoodles

E.U. May Exclude U.S. as It Reopens Borders, Citing Failures on Virus

Recommended Posts

Just now, Dad2Cue said:

I'm not offended.  My father always said we were Scotch-Irish.  I've been researching that on ancestry.com.  What's your opinion on that?

I have same mix but also i was told im 1/8 english. 

So i donated 2 pints of blood just to make sure the 1/8th was gone 🤣🤣🤣 

Ok so thats Americans and  English picked on who's next lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the EU ban of Americans is moving forward.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/26/europe/eu-coronavirus-travel-ban-us-intl/index.html

An EU diplomat told CNN that it was very "unlikely" travelers from the US would be allowed in, adding that even though the list had not been finalized "the US's chances are close to zero." The diplomat also said, "with their infection rates ... not even they can believe in that possibility."

Personally I don't see this as retaliation, it's simple science, the same reason why the US banned the EU in March.  The US didn't banned the EU for political reasons so this action has to be viewed in the same light.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, twangster said:

Personally I don't see this as retaliation, it's simple science, the same reason why the US banned the EU in March.  The US didn't banned the EU for political reasons so this action has to be viewed in the same light.  

I agree. I wouldn't let us in at this point, either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, twangster said:

Looks like the EU ban of Americans is moving forward.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/26/europe/eu-coronavirus-travel-ban-us-intl/index.html

An EU diplomat told CNN that it was very "unlikely" travelers from the US would be allowed in, adding that even though the list had not been finalized "the US's chances are close to zero." The diplomat also said, "with their infection rates ... not even they can believe in that possibility."

Personally I don't see this as retaliation, it's simple science, the same reason why the US banned the EU in March.  The US didn't banned the EU for political reasons so this action has to be viewed in the same light.  

It looks as though The UK is allowing people from Spain, France and Greece to enter soon without any quarantine restrictions. 

Other countries will have to wait until their R rate, death Rate etc drop to an acceptable level. 

Now this is all well and good but lets say Pedro from Barcelona has been in Germany (where cases have risen again dramatically) the week before travelling to the UK. 

As travel between eu countries does not require a visa or passport stamp there is no record of anyones movement in previous weeks so we have no idea where the people arriving from countries listed as OK have been 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ray said:

It looks as though The UK is allowing people from Spain, France and Greece to enter soon without any quarantine restrictions. 

Other countries will have to wait until their R rate, death Rate etc drop to an acceptable level. 

Now this is all well and good but lets say Pedro from Barcelona has been in Germany (where cases have risen again dramatically) the week before travelling to the UK. 

As travel between eu countries does not require a visa or passport stamp there is no record of anyones movement in previous weeks so we have no idea where the people arriving from countries listed as OK have been 

No system will be perfect and only completely shutting borders to everyone including citizens will be absolute.  Some countries did that and stranded their citizens around the world including some ship crew.  That wasn't a very good solution either.

There may be ones and twos that slip through but contrast that to 400 people on a plane or 3,000 on a transatlantic cruise from America or country X as this evolves.  That's got to help slow spread from hotspot regions.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only problem with applying the ban to all of the U.S is that includes regions or states that are doing quite well, as good or better than the EU.  The U.S. is pretty sizable both in population and land size.  The EU is made up of a number of small countries that are easier to apply labels to and definitions.

I get it, it's easier to create definitions based on a passport compared to driver's license but if we stop for a moment and try to reimagine changes to better determine how to move into reopening we must think beyond traditional measures. 

This applies to domestic policy within the U.S. as well.  I get it, it's easier to label people from their state of residence rather than their county but in so doing we prevent areas that are less impacted from reaping economic gains.   

Expecting government to be dynamic and agile is an act of futility but that is exactly what we need to minimize the economic impact and hardship caused by the pandemic.  It's a shame that it's governments that are causing as much or more pain than the virus itself.  We need to find a way to allow commerce when there is less potential impact from spread regardless of the state or country or continent or hemisphere. 

The virus doesn't know borders and neither can our response. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2020 at 7:56 PM, sryan said:

That's ok. Just look for your cruise itinerary update from Royal............................

Day 1 Barcelona

Day 2 Cruising

Day 3 Cruising 

Day 4 CocoCay

Day 5 Labadee

Day 6 Cruising

Day 7 Cruising 

Day 8 Barcelona

I'm not gonna lie.... I would take this itinerary in a heartbeat even if it meant flying from Ohio to Spain and back. 😆

I was bored so I did the math on that one;

You would have to go at 66.28kts from Barcelona to Cococay

And then 72.22kts on the way back from Labadee to Barcelona.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Greg787 said:

I was bored so I did the math on that one;

You would have to go at 66.28kts from Barcelona to Cococay

And then 72.22kts on the way back from Labadee to Barcelona.

Then I guess I will need to request that the new Icon class ships all have rockets attached to them. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Greg787 said:

I was bored so I did the math on that one;

You would have to go at 66.28kts from Barcelona to Cococay

And then 72.22kts on the way back from Labadee to Barcelona.

If they were to push it a bit on the way back and reach 76.4699 kts ...would temporal displacement occur? 😮😁 ...and if it did would that mean an extra free sea day? 😁😁

back to the future GIF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, twangster said:

In the Netflix movie "Like Father" the ship sails from NYC and visits Jamaica then back to NYC on a 7 night cruise. 

If they can do it for a movie surely they can do it from Barcelona.  

Also just out of curiosity, I calculated that route too. Here's how that would work:

image.png.9e0871d2ec5382d80c4dce217fefab9f.png

21.49kts there and 23.19kts back. (pretty much the absolute max they can run at.)

...now I probably should get back to work, but I'll consider this as part of my work 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...