Dining with children - My time versus Traditional?

Lindsjo

My husband and I are surprising our two children (ages 10 and 7) with a Holiday cruise - 4 night, Navigator of the Seas.  We have selected the My Time Dining so we could be flexible but now I am debating trying to get the early seating with the My Family Time option to get the kids meal expedited and them off to kids activities.  Can someone give me advice here?  Which is better?  Could we still get expedited service with My Time Dining and take the kids to the activities ourselves or would that ruin our own dinner?  Do you get the same farewell performances and things with MTD as you do with traditional dining?

If we stick with My Time Dining, what times should we choose?  Our Day 2 itinerary has us in Nassau and we are doing a dolphin experience then Atlantis.  My fear with the early dinner seating is that we would be rushed to get back on the boat in time.  

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I can't offer advice on the kid related questions, but here's a couple thoughts.  

1 hour ago, Lindsjo said:

Do you get the same farewell performances and things with MTD as you do with traditional dining?

Only if you happen to be dining at the same time as traditional dining.  (Those performances are usually after entrees are served so maybe 45 minutes after the traditional start times?)

1 hour ago, Lindsjo said:

If we stick with My Time Dining, what times should we choose?  Our Day 2 itinerary has us in Nassau and we are doing a dolphin experience then Atlantis.  My fear with the early dinner seating is that we would be rushed to get back on the boat in time.

Most Nassau days, the ship departs before early traditional dining starts.  The all aboard time is also 30 minutes before the departure time so for most itineraries, you'd have to miss the boat to miss dinner.  You'll have to check your specific itinerary.

2 hours ago, Lindsjo said:

My husband and I are surprising our two children (ages 10 and 7) with a Holiday cruise - 4 night, Navigator of the Seas.  We have selected the My Time Dining so we could be flexible but now I am debating trying to get the early seating with the My Family Time option to get the kids meal expedited and them off to kids activities.  Can someone give me advice here?  Which is better?  Could we still get expedited service with My Time Dining and take the kids to the activities ourselves or would that ruin our own dinner?  Do you get the same farewell performances and things with MTD as you do with traditional dining?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

We had mostly traditional early seating when our son was young.  We chose that as we wanted to eat with others at a larger table.  The couple of times we had MTD, we ate at our own table by ourselves.  Either way you go, you must coordinate dinner with other plans.  Inevitably there will be minor conflicts.  A good rule of thumb is to tell your Waiter that you have an event at X:o'clock, and the staff will try to get you out on time.  It's the same food, whichever you choose, so no worries.  Our son enjoyed Adventure Ocean.....

1 hour ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Most Nassau days, the ship departs before early traditional dining starts.  The all aboard time is also 30 minutes before the departure time so for most itineraries, you'd have to miss the boat to miss dinner.  You'll have to check your specific itinerary.

It looks like our Nassau day departs at 9pm.  However, sunset is at 5:30 so I doubt we'll be out and about after then.

57 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

We had mostly traditional early seating when our son was young.  We chose that as we wanted to eat with others at a larger table.  The couple of times we had MTD, we ate at our own table by ourselves.  Either way you go, you must coordinate dinner with other plans.  Inevitably there will be minor conflicts.  A good rule of thumb is to tell your Waiter that you have an event at X:o'clock, and the staff will try to get you out on time.  It's the same food, whichever you choose, so no worries.  Our son enjoyed Adventure Ocean.....

Will the staff do an expedited service for children with MTD?  As of right now we have reservations with MTD at the same time as the traditional early seating at 6pm.  I'm wondering if we can still participate in the My Family Dining pickup as long as we keep to that reservation.  That at least gives us flexibility on our Nassau night as I think that'd be the only night we cut it close.

On 11/4/2019 at 3:32 PM, Lindsjo said:

Will the staff do an expedited service for children with MTD?  As of right now we have reservations with MTD at the same time as the traditional early seating at 6pm.  I'm wondering if we can still participate in the My Family Dining pickup as long as we keep to that reservation.  That at least gives us flexibility on our Nassau night as I think that'd be the only night we cut it close.

it can't hurt to ask...