please explain dynamic dinning to me

cjappert

My best description is a failure, RCI saw the dinning program offered on NCL (Free Style Dinning) and came up with a new "better" version of it. But it really does not work cannot deliver what it promises. It claims to give you more choices but really it does not. With traditional dining your  table is held (Main Dinning Room) and if you do not use it, your seats sits empty. But MTD and Dynamic dinning allows RCI to us those seats.

They try to rotate you around several different restaurants, claiming you can keep your waitstaff. Until two groups at the same table want different restaurants on the same night )or times) , the waitstaff can't be split. Also because you are always changing tables and waitstaff they do not get to know you and every meal is like a cold first time. With normal fixed dining the staff knows I want two waters and a diet coke, with MTD and Dynamic they don't even know my name. 

One of the better parts of cruising is meeting new and different people, traditional dining builds this, these new flex time location programs cause people to separate and not mix.

When you reserve these dining options they try to get you to prepay the tips, because they know they will result in lower levels of end tipping.  I would also point out that if this was such a great option why did RCI say it would be rolled out to most of the fleet and then cancel it back to a single class of ships? Because it has failed. Google Dynamic Dining of RCI and see the number of people saying bad things. Watch the pod casts from the ships and Dynamic dining negatives seem to run 3 to 1 vs positives.  If i get forced into Dynamic Dining or MTD, I will find anyway I can to remove the daily service fee because not earned. I do tip out in cash staff who provide service above and beyond.

The other reason for these programs is to better use all the seats on the ships for dinning. If you can do this you can build smaller sittings and add more passengers. In the end everything they do is about profit. The company needs to see these programs as failures and return to a better system.