Data packages on Anthem

Diamondskier

Most cell carriers off an international package that includes cruise ships for around $25 which can reduce the roaming cost per minute. I believe going this route, you can send text for less than $.20 and receive for less than $.10 depending on carrier. That said even though the ships do have thier own cell "tower", the service can be spotty. Also you have to be REALLY careful to know which islands you plan includes and to turn your phone to airplane mode when pulling into ports that are not included.

We (only the DW and I) do buy the internet package and use the texting app "whatsapp". I can see that might be cost prohibitive for 8 people.

Short answer is no, you cannot use your phones while at sea for free to communicate.

Longer answer is there are some options depending on how much you are willing to spend.

• Use your cell phone text messaging. Often plans include free incoming texts and to send texts costs just a few cents. 
  • Invest in Royal Caribbean's unlimited internet plans.  Costly, but you can use messaging apps to communicate for a fixed cost in addition to general use of the internet.