Port Canaveral Day

sixstringgti

My fiance (will be wife by the cruise) and I will be stopping in Port Canaveral for ten hours on day 3 of our cruise. The next two stops after will be Coco Cay and then Nassau. We are having trouble deciding what to do that day. The Space Center would be cool but it's a lot more than we'd like to spend for the day, and I've heard the guided tour can be rushed. I haven't heard the best reviews for Cocoa Beach, so we aren't sure about that either. We would both love to walk around Disney Springs for the day, but we are worried about transportation. RCI has a shuttle to and from the Transportation Center for $39 per person, which helps alleviate the concern we have about missing the departure. We have been to Disney Springs before and know it is mostly shops and restaurants, but we are huge Disney fans and did not get to see it all previously. Is going to Disney Springs for the day a good idea and/or has anyone done this themselves? If so, can we use the buses to get from the TTC to Disney Springs and back? Any other ideas that are closer to port that won't break the bank either?

1 hour ago, sixstringgti said:

The Space Center would be cool but it's a lot more than we'd like to spend for the day, and I've heard the guided tour can be rushed

Keep in mind you can just hop in a Lyft and tour KSC on your own. You don't need a guided tour. 

I haven't heard the best reviews for Cocoa Beach, so we aren't sure about that either.

Cocoa Beach may not be the most beautiful beach you have ever seen, but it's nice enough and I think for most folks coming from up north it will suffice.  

. Is going to Disney Springs for the day a good idea and/or has anyone done this themselves? If so, can we use the buses to get from the TTC to Disney Springs and back? Any other ideas that are closer to port that won't break the bank either?

Disney Springs is a great idea, and you can always head over to the Boardwalk if you run out of things to do.

The key with any excursion you do on your own is time management. Plan on getting back at least 2- 3 hours before all aboard and that should more than sufficiently guard you against delays.