Refurb

Q : just curious, what is generally involved in a "refurbishment" ? I know about the much publicized water slides additions, and the changeover from Portofino's to Giovanni's Table, but what else is usually included ? My assumption is that the focus is on the areas exposed to the weather ie; pool decks/railings, outdoor furniture, etc. Also bedding, draperies, carpet, and maybe some of the interior furniture. Since I've never sailed Liberty, I'll have no point of reference to use as to what's new. Anyone ?

In short...it depends.

Refurbishments have varied from ship to ship, even within the same class. Look at the recent refurbishments on Navigator of the Seas vs Adventure of the Seas. Night and day difference.

I think what a refurb entails depends on the budget and other factors.  

In the example above, I think the reason why Adventure's refurb was so paltry is because she had propulsion issues right before it and a large part of the budget was eaten up to fix it. That is pure speculation on my part and perhaps it's just as simple as RC knew Adventure would still be sailing from San Juan and did not need to commit resources there like they do for a ship out of mainland.

As Matt said, it can vary greatly and also depend on when the last refurb was. Sometimes they're largely maintenance-based (e.g., hull painting, engines, propellor) and other times soft goods and interior changes are made. In addition, each ship is schedule fore major updates like the addition of slides, so if they get pulled into dry dock early for maintenance issues, then those plans can be scrapped especially if they hadn't had time to receive the materials needed for the refurb.

There was a documentary of a Royal refurb called "A Cruise Ship Reborn" years ago which was fascinating and gave a beind the scenes look at the process over several episodes. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find it online.

FYI: the 5 part documentary is currently on YouTube. Search "Dry Dock: A Cruise Ship Reborn" to see the 2004 refurb of the Sovereign of the Seas.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm watching it now. 5 parts, 45 minutes each, they must really go into detail.

Hard to believe the Sovereign was the biggest ship at one point.

I remember being fascinated by it when it originally aired, although I didn't realize it was a decade ago.  Count the number of times they have to respond to fires during the refurb.  That's what I remember most.

I'm going to start watching it tomorrow.