Head Waiter

Is there a HW for each deck of the MDR or is the HW responsible for the entire dining room? Or does it break down even further than that? Maybe there's a HW for X amount of guests/tables. I need to speak with him/her about my wife's birthday, and I want to make sure I'm talking with the right person (and tipping the right person).

Others would know better than I, but I'll jump in anyways.

I think there is many head waiters per floor, on my ships they dressed differently than the other waiters with their vests and bow ties, I noticed a few of them running around. That said, I'm sure there is a head head waiter for the floor. I think just about anybody would be happy to help you with your request though.

Also, just an idea but a birthday might be a good reason to try a specialty restaurant, maybe even present her with a gift at the table. I'm going to try it next year myself.

Although I must say listening to the waiters try and sing happy birthday in the MDR has been hilarious, English is not their first language and they arnt the best with the words. But that's my twisted sence of humor speaking.

Best of luck

Jerel is correct. There are several "head waiters" and they are each responsible for several waiters. Your head waiter should stop by your table on the first night to introduce him/herself, but that doesn't always happen. You can also stop by the dining room on embarkation day and there is usually a dining room supervisor available to help you find your table or help with other requests. Any of them would be very glad to help make your wife's birthday special.

Make sure you note in your reservation, either through your travel agent or online, that you are celebrating a birthday and which day you want to celebrate. When doing this in the past (for an anniversary) the staff in Chops brought out a very nice slice of cake with "Happy Anniversary" spelled out on it and then sang to my wife and I. So I would have it noted in your reservation and then follow up with the head waiter or dining room supervisor as soon as you get on board.

Also, just an idea but a birthday might be a good reason to try a specialty restaurant, maybe even present her with a gift at the table. I'm going to try it next year myself.

Although I must say listening to the waiters try and sing happy birthday in the MDR has been hilarious, English is not their first language and they arnt the best with the words. But that's my twisted sence of humor speaking.

Specialty restaurants...been there, done that...so not as special anymore (though always fab!). What I've never done is gotten the attention of the entire MDR focused on her. ;-) Especially, as you say, "listening to the waiters try and sing happy birthday in the MDR has been hilarious, English is not their first language and they arnt the best with the words." <-- That'll be a hoot!

Your head waiter should stop by your table on the first night to introduce him/herself, but that doesn't always happen. You can also stop by the dining room on embarkation day and there is usually a dining room supervisor available to help you find your table or help with other requests. Any of them would be very glad to help make your wife's birthday special.

Make sure you note in your reservation, either through your travel agent or online, that you are celebrating a birthday and which day you want to celebrate. When doing this in the past (for an anniversary) the staff in Chops brought out a very nice slice of cake with "Happy Anniversary" spelled out on it and then sang to my wife and I. So I would have it noted in your reservation and then follow up with the head waiter or dining room supervisor as soon as you get on board.

Unfortunately, we will not be dining in the MDR on the first night, as we will be enjoying the Mystery Dinner Theater at Giovanni's Table. So stopping by the MDR during the day will have to be my strategy. I'm just concerned that, since we're doing My Time Dining, there's no way to know who our HW will be. :-(

We have indeed noted her birthday on our reservation. Thank you!