Royal Caribbean will add lifeguards to all of its cruise ships in an effort to improve onboard water safety.
Cruise Critic reported the change, which will see Royal Caribbean add licensed lifeguards that are trained through a partner company, StarGuard Elite. At least one lifeguard will be stationed at every pool (including the Solarium) during all open hours, and will be noticeably visible in bright red and white uniforms. All have been hired specifically as lifeguards and will not serve in any other role onboard.
In addition, Royal Caribbean will present a 15-minute water safety presentation during the Adventure Ocean open house session on embarkation day.
The lifeguards and water safety program will be deployed to all of Royal Caribbean's cruise ships over the next four months. The program debuted on Oasis of the Seas this week, and will be added to 14 ships by mid-April. All remaining cruise shops will have lifeguards added by June 15.
- Oasis of the Seas: February 26-March 5
- Harmony of the Seas: March 7-11
- Independence of the Seas: March 11-16
- Anthem of the Seas: March 11-14
- Liberty of the Seas: March 12-19
- Freedom of the Seas: March 22-29
- Allure of the Seas: March 23-26
- Brilliance of the Seas: March 24-30
- Quantum of the Seas: March 26-31
- Ovation of the Seas: March 29-April 3
- Navigator of the Seas: March 31-April 5
- Serenade of the Seas: March 31-April 7
- Jewel of the Seas: March 31-April 4
- Rhapsody of the Seas: April 5-8
- Majesty of the Seas: April 21-24
- Empress of the Seas: April 24-29
- Adventure of the Seas: April 26-29
- Enchantment of the Seas: May 8-12
- Grandeur of the Seas: May 13-18
- Explorer of the Seas: May 15-26
- Mariner of the Seas: May 26-June 4
- Radiance of the Seas: May 28-June 6
- Voyager of the Seas: June 5-12
- Vision of the Seas: June 15-27
Royal Caribbean began offering guests the option to use life jackets for children to use in the pool in late 2015, but adding lifeguards and water safety programs is a big step forward.