Oia (Santorini) - how to get there independently

Ban-One

Hi,

going on a Cruise in September / October this year. Not our first cruise, but it's been a while. And it'll be our first time in Santorini. Arrival is at 7am, departure at 5pm.

I checked the shore excursions with independent time in Oia. But it will only give us 90min in Oia. And we really wanna spend more time there. There are busses and of course taxis from Fira to Oia. Which is the better option? Any company I could (or should) book in advance? I know the cable car up to Fira will take lots of our time, so I wonder if it is worth to travel on our own or is the shore excursion still the better option?

Thanks for any help and advice!

When I was there in late May, the public buses between Fira and Oia departed about once an hour.  One way tickets were 2.4 euros and are bought on the bus so have a little cash.  The main Fira bus station is on the south side of town while the cable car comes up on the north (10 minute walk?).  There might have been a smaller bus stop around there but I'm not sure.  I don't know what taxis would cost but my wife and I had no trouble getting anywhere on the island using the buses.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

came back from our cruise and just wanted to give you some feedback about our experience.
The shore excursion we booked on the ShoreBee website worked out perfectly. Did cost us 15 Euros each. Departure on time at 8.30am with a boat directly from the port to the Oia port. From there a quick bus ride up to Oia. Arriving at around 9.45am. Then we had time to explore the town completely on our own. Buses back were at 11am, 12noon, 1pm and 2pm. No reservations needed, just show up about 15' before time. They have enough seats and busses ready for the transport to Fira (about 20'). From Fira back to the port you are on your own though (cable car or walking). We walked....took about only 30' and there weren't many donkeys around - it's end of season soon I guess. Great experience all around, well organised and on time. And for that price a real steal.