Southern Caribbean - St Maarten/St Kitts/Antigua/St. Lucia/Barbados

ChristineS

My hubby and I are excited for our first cruise in October. I'm looking for suggestions/favorite things to do in...

St.Maarten, St. Kitts, Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbados, Puerto Rico

We like to call ourselves "adventures". We love exploring nature, and we especially love wildlife. We also love a good beach. We would like to do a lot of snorkeling, some hiking, and maybe some kayaking. 

I've thought about the volcano hike in St. Kitts (I've heard that this one is quite intense, but I think we are up for the challenge ?) Sting Ray City in Antigua, and swimming with the turtles in Barbados. Does anyone have experience with any of these?

Are there any excursions that would be best to book through Royal? I would also love to hear about any great experiences with a third party excursion. Are there any islands that are particularly good to explore on your own?

Thanks in advance!

-Christine 

I can heartily recommend Soualiga Destinations as a very good, very fun all-day excursion in St. Maarten. You get two snorkeling stops of about 45 minutes each, two beach stops around the same length or slightly longer (first one is also when you'll have lunch), and you go all around the island as well as to some of the surrounding tiny islands. It's a third-party excursion you have to book directly, not through Royal, but they're very good about getting you back in time. Only requirement is that your ship must be in port from around 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM (all-aboard at 4:30), as the trip goes from 9 until 4.