Culturally Enriching - Language Barrier

Has anyone taken one of Royal Caribbean's "Culturally Enriching Cruises" before? I understand the primary language on the ship will not be English but how severe of a barrier is it?  Is there an English speaking concierge on board?

Specifically cruises out of China to Japan, my Mandarin is very limited however my conversational Japanese is pretty good, will they use both?

You are worrying about nothing!

My wife and I did a culturally enriching cruise a few years ago and we enjoyed it very much. Keep in mind a few things, Royal is structured around English. All employees must have a certain mastery to be employed. Ships announcements all will be in English first and then in other languages. The cruise compass, TV's, sea pass, and all those memos and paperwork that is left by the stateroom attendant on your bed will be in English. The concierges? Of course they are fluent English speakers! In all, the cruise as you are accustomed will not change.

What will change might be some of the entertainment, menus in the MDR might be tweaked to favor the tastes of the largest nationality of passengers (don't worry all of your favorites and old standbys will still be there), music in the disco will be influenced ( but the same line dance songs that are played at every sail away will continue).

I think you'll find the differences welcome and interesting. Except for the ships announcements, you'll be scratching your head how long and what is gone through just to tell the passengers that Bingo is about to begin in the theater in a half an hour.