Coco Cay and Cozumel

MaBunny73

Hi, I’m just trying to get some information on my cruise that I’m going on in August. Would like any advice on excursions to do or not to do. Best way to save money doing this. Seems like they nickel and dime everything. Interested in finding out if the Broadway show is extra and what the actual price is for the escape room because I’m seeing conflicting pricing in my portal versus online reviews ranges from $8-$30. what’s the easiest way to do the drinks package really only need water and coffee. I believe the coffee comes with your included food. Also, wondering about snorkeling, it says strenuous. Just want to know if you do at your leisure how hard it is. 

5 hours ago, MaBunny73 said:

Hi, I’m just trying to get some information on my cruise that I’m going on in August. Would like any advice on excursions to do or not to do. Best way to save money doing this. Seems like they nickel and dime everything. Interested in finding out if the Broadway show is extra and what the actual price is for the escape room because I’m seeing conflicting pricing in my portal versus online reviews ranges from $8-$30. what’s the easiest way to do the drinks package really only need water and coffee. I believe the coffee comes with your included food. Also, wondering about snorkeling, it says strenuous. Just want to know if you do at your leisure how hard it is. 

The shows onboard are all included. But reserving in advance is usually necessary to guarantee a seat for a particular date and time. Some ships do this, and some don't. 

I don't know anything about the escape room. Bottled water is extra, about $3/bottle. Coffee from the Windjammer, Main Dining Room or other sources is included, except for "fancy" coffee like lattes and such. Anything from Starbuck's is fancy.

I think the Strenuous tag is a liability hedge for Royal. It depends. When I was under 60 years old, I didn't think it was. Now almost 20 years later, it is for me. It depends on your body and condition.

6 hours ago, MaBunny73 said:

Would like any advice on excursions to do or not to do.

What do you tend to like doing? Sit on the beach, do water activities, do cultural tours, eat local foods, do other adventure activities, etc.? People here will be able to more help you if they know what you like to do. 

Best way to save money doing this

Local vendors are usually less expensive, but Royal vendors give you peace of mind that you won't miss the ship. 

what the actual price is for the escape room because I’m seeing conflicting pricing

There are two different types of Escape Room. The paid one is an actual room and has dynamic pricing, depending on the ship and the sail date and when you purchase. So it will have varying prices. Buy it at a price you can live with and keep checking for lower prices. 

easiest way to do the drinks package really only need water and coffee

Water is available around the ships from large iced containers and cups. If you bring a reusable bottle, you can use a cup to refill it and take it to go. Regular coffee, as @rjweber3 said, is free around the ship as well. And there are a few other free/included options like lemonade or fruit punch, also around the ship in the containers like the water. You don't have to buy any drink package. You can just go with the free and then buy a drink here or there a la carte if you want. The only thing you can't get a la carte is soda from a Freestyle machine because you need the package to get the cup with the special chip to activate it (if you are on a ship with Freestyle). 

snorkeling, it says strenuous

Cozumel has currents, strong at times. I've found myself working hard and needing fins during Coz snorkeling, even from shore. People who dive here often do "drift diving" because of the currents. There are places right off of shore that have some really fantastic viewing but you should be prepared.

1 hour ago, jbrinkm said:

Cozumel has currents, strong at times. I've found myself working hard and needing fins during Coz snorkeling, even from shore. People who dive here often do "drift diving" because of the currents. There are places right off of shore that have some really fantastic viewing but you should be prepared.

This is helpful. I would like a beginners to snorkeling. Not sure where would be best for this. 

What do you tend to like doing? Sit on the beach, do water activities, do cultural tours, eat local foods, do other adventure activities, etc.? People here will be able to more help you if they know what you like to do. 

I do enjoy site seeing. I am a little torn between just relaxing on the beach and the desire to go snorkeling. I can swim but I am a little nervous on whether my ability is strong enough for snorkeling.  I’ve also seen tubing. I have to look back and see if it’s offered at coco cay or Cozumel. Says strenuous also. Wondering if that’s mostly getting to the location and back walking on different terrain. And mild water or animal related excursions would be enjoyable. 

Water is available around the ships from large iced containers and cups. If you bring a reusable bottle, you can use a cup to refill it and take it to go. Regular coffee, as @rjweber3 said, is free around the ship as well.

This is truly helpful. 

3 hours ago, MaBunny73 said:

This is helpful. I would like a beginners to snorkeling. Not sure where would be best for this. 

I have never been to Coco Cay so I cannot answer anything about that. I will say that I really, really enjoyed snorkeling from Cabana Beach on Cozumel - so many different types of brightly colored fish. Maybe you could bring an inflatable vest to help support -and definitely use your fins! The good snorkeling and the nice beaches tend to be at different parts at Cozumel. If you go a little further south, you get the wide sandy beaches and AI beach clubs, but not great snorkeling. If you are up at the Money Bar and Chankanaab area, it has a rocky shore which is better for snorkeling - it is deeper more quickly and doesn't have as much silt kicking up (some places bring in sand , including Cabana Beach and Chankanaab, but it stays "up top"). There are steps leading down to the water in the places that have a more rocky shore.

Also, I didn't finish my answer about the Escape Room. Like I said, some ships have a real escape room which you pay for and reserve a time. You may ALSO see (or see on ships with no Escape Room) a Royal Mystery Puzzle. This is free - may have a sign up or may not - and has no cost. You'll see it in your cruise planner, daily activities. Get there early! It will be more like just solving a mystery rather than a real escape room, but can still be entertaining. 

What ship are you on?