Dumb airport/restaurant question (Newark port/airport)

So we are getting in early in the morning and it will be a few hours before we can do anything at the port in Newark in late May.

We will obviously want breakfast but won't be able to do that in the airport.  I don't know how things are in other airports but in Southern CA airports the restaurants are all by the gates.  Once we get off the aircraft we will have to go get our bags and there is never any restaurants by baggage claim (and obviously won't be able to get back up by the gates.)

Any one have any recommendations?  Things to do?  Restaurant nearby for breakfast?  If we wanted to hang out in the airport what happens to our unclaimed bag at baggage claim?

If we got to the port early is there a restaurant or lounge thing nearby or at the port?  

We also have a special needs teenager with us so they promised us early check in /boarding.

Thanks in advance

I have not been there in a very long time, but I can imagine anything changed.  Take air train to NJ Penn Station there will be food there.  Then train Bayone and cab to Port. Depending on needs of son this could be great excitement.   There are also shuttles and plenty of cabs, you are across river from nyc!

I would never do this day of cruise!  Plenty of hotels with included breakfasts right there!

8 hours ago, Minuet888 said:

We will obviously want breakfast but won't be able to do that in the airport.  I don't know how things are in other airports but in Southern CA airports the restaurants are all by the gates.  Once we get off the aircraft we will have to go get our bags and there is never any restaurants by baggage claim (and obviously won't be able to get back up by the gates.)

If we wanted to hang out in the airport what happens to our unclaimed bag at baggage claim?

I assume like most airports, you will disembark at a gate so the restaurants should be right there when you get off the plane.  Of course, the price will be higher for anything at the airport but if that's not a concern, just have breakfast in the gate area.  If you don't claim your luggage by the time they want to use your assigned baggage carousel for a different flight, airport staff will just move your luggage to a customer service area (usually somewhat centrally located in baggage claim).  You will need ID and your baggage claim tickets to claim luggage from there.  I actually had to do this in Las Vegas a couple weeks ago.  We weren't even that slow getting from the gate to the claim area but for some reason our flight was already off the carousel.