Help with Colonial Panama on Your Own excursion

Petrow

My fiance and I are on Radiance of the Seas on March 27 and one of the stops is in Colon, Panama. I've heard some not so great things about Colon, and usually we are content with just walking around but don't feel comfortable doing so there.

I was wondering if anybody has experience with the Colonial Panama on Your Own excursion. The description for it is extremely vague, but it seems like something we would like to do since we're fine just wandering around cities and this goes to Panama City instead of staying in Colon. Any advice would be great.

In January we stopped at Colon while sailing on Serenade. I can not speak to the "on your own" excursion but can share the completely enjoyed our full day old city and canal viewing excursion. We had a walking tour of the old city followed by about an hour of free time.  It felt safe and there was much to visit. The president's home is off the main square so the police, secret service equivalent and other protection are out in force. All told we were there for about three hours. 

It's about an hour drive from the Atlantic side to Panama City in the Pacific. The ride with the tour guide was also enjoyable. 

Do note that English is not widely spoken as compared to other places in the Caribbean. Knowing some level of Spanish would be very helpful.