Alaska Cruisetour vs Cruise Only

I am trying to compare the cost/value of a cruisetour vs booking just the cruise and planning my own land vacation. For comparison I am simply using interior stateroom pricing from 2016/17 RCCL printed tourbook.

The 7 night Seward to Vancouver interior cabin cruise prices start at $1119

The 7B Cruisetour featuring a 6 night land tour prior to the cruise has prices starting at $2602 adding $1,483 over the cruise only price. This is $247/night compared to the cruise portion of $160/night.

Considering that we will be traveling as a couple the nightly land tour portion is ~$500/night. I recognize the price includes transportation and travel guide as well as the convenience of having the trip planned and managed by someone else (a very big convenience)

One other dimension to this is that we may be traveling with children/spouses and and possibly some other couples (13-20 adults total). One view of this is that we could plan our own land tour (lodging, guide, transportation) getting a more tailored trip (and possibly save costs?) and the other view is that we would struggle to put together a plan that suits everyone.

I am assuming there is not much to be saved by planning the land tour ourselves and that there is a higher risk of having an unpleasant experience but we are interested in what others have experienced.

Dave

I did the cost comparison for the 13 day trip, utilizing the same hotels and travel arrangement and there wasn't that much of a savings... I'm sure they get group rates for the package deal, but it doesn't seem like it would be worth it, unless you don't like some of those tours.