Booked for 2 but only 1 Going. How do I handle?

Notlad

I have several cruises that I booked and paid for two thinking my first wife would be traveling with me but it looks like I will be making these cruises alone as she is taking a break from traveling. I know in the past I have Matt address how to handle this but I can't remember his advice. Should I call Royal in advance to notify them that only I will be traveling or should I wait until I check in and let them know then. For some reason I am thinking Matt suggested the latter method. I know I will only get the port fees and taxes refunded for the second person not traveling and I know that I should be able to get double points cruising alone. Maybe that is why I think I remember Matt saying to just cancel the second person when I check in. Help!

You can either have your wife do a no-show and get the taxes and fees refunded. OR you can call/have you agent reprice as a solo. The problem with the latter is that you will pay prevailing rates which may or may not cost more. It is best to do a mock booking to see if this is worth it. 

The only problem is that if you do a no-show, you might not get the extra point per night because you didn't book as a solo. If you reprice as a solo, you will definitely get the extra point. This is where the whole "ymmv" thing come into play: some people have done a no-show and not got the extra point, some have. 

26 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

You can either have your wife do a no-show and get the taxes and fees refunded. OR you can call/have you agent reprice as a solo. The problem with the latter is that you will pay prevailing rates which may or may not cost more. It is best to do a mock booking to see if this is worth it. 

The only problem is that if you do a no-show, you might not get the extra point per night because you didn't book as a solo. If you reprice as a solo, you will definitely get the extra point. This is where the whole "ymmv" thing come into play: some people have done a no-show and not got the extra point, some have. 

Thanks!