Does a * always mean it sleeps 4?

We have a family cruise on Explorer in March 2023. We have 6 rooms and 1 balcony room. I booked my husband and myself in 6320. Since it has an * will I be able to book another person in the room before we sail? Two of the rooms have 3 people that aren’t vaccinated and will not get vaccine. If vaccines are still required at that point they will cancel. I would like to take my grand daughter, 6 yr old, on the cruise and just add her to my reservation so she doesn’t miss the trip with her cousins. I booked over the phone and was able to book this balcony room, even if there are only 2 of us.

No, the * will be whatever design for that type of cabin, in your case there is an extra pullman. I.e., that * doesn't always mean it can hold 4 people, it could be 3 on that deck, 2, etc. You need to call Royal and see, even if the cabin can hold more people, doesn't mean they could be added. There are only so many lifeboats, so if you want to add your granddaughter, do so asap.