Future Cruise Discount Certificate

This is not a complaint, please keep that in mind.  It's more of a clarification of what really happens.

On our May 13th, Ovation, Alaska cruise we didn't receive the services and activities that are customarily available.  So, we made mention, calmly and respectfully of it to a few key personnel on the ship.  We were not looking for anything, not at all.  We just wanted the ship's management to know what was going on and how they could have been more upfront about it.  My buddy that cruised with us, somehow, received notification of an appointment to sit down with the Customer Service Manager to discuss the services and activities that weren't provided/available.   At the end of the conversations, the Customer Service Manager said that she was going to give us something for our inconvenience.  He refused to accept it.  But, the CSM said that she was going to have it delivered to our cabin anyway.  Well, it turned out that it was a 5% future cruise discount.  

As is stated in here so often, don't go by the % of any discount, it isn't as advertised.  Again, this is for informational purposes only.  First, the discount is for a "Future Cruise" as stated on the certificate and up front, not an issue, and it has to be used within a year from date of issue.  BUT, if you do feel like you deserve some kind of relief from the cost of the cruise that you have already paid for, this ain't it.  Second, if you book a cruise, or already have a cruise booked, and that cruise is less expensive than the one you had the issue on, your not getting 5% relief from what you have already paid for.  Third, If you apply the discount to a future cruise and your an avid deal finder (like my wife who checks Royal's site everyday) and you notice that your booking is now lower than what you originally booked and you call to get the reduced rate for that booking, your 5% was just reduced too.  

As stated in this forum before, I/we only cruise, on average, every 1.5 years, finances permitting.  I have my next cruise booked for January 2024.  So, my 5% future discount is actually a 0% discount.  Yes, it's my decision based upon financial standing.  And again, this isn't a complaint.  Just be aware that 5% in Royal's lexicon isn't necessarily a 5% that you or I expect.