Flan, seriously?

DocLC

I'm aboard the Allure currently and an eating gluten-free to support a family member who was diagnosed with celiac. Unfortunately, they only dessert in the specialty restaurants that Royal seems capable of serving is flan. Not only is this unacceptable in my opinion, but I find it odd given that they're able to back an acceptable gluten-free cupcake fit a charge as well as premium ice cream.

I was willing to settle for the coconut ice cream at Chops, but it's no longer available. They're only serving vanilla ice cream now and the cookie dessert, which I can't have, is simply the cookies they serve around the ship.

Perhaps this is why Royal suggested we bring some of our own food onboard when I contacted them, which was an unacceptable response in my opinion.

The good news, they do have a dedicated gluten-free island in the Windjammer, but again they seriously need to work on their desserts and creativity. The breads have also improved. In addition, the sausages at the Dog House are gluten-free, although I had to contact Risk via Twitter to find this out as the standard answer onboard is "it's not gluten-free" when they don't know or don't want to find out. And sadly, the two executive sous chefs in the Windjammer contradict themselves as one says the chili has for in it while the other sites not. One also claimed the meat sauce for posts had a rue in it. If that's true, then Royal is doing some serious cost cutting on ingredients.

In general, it's not easy accommodating those with special diets.  Certainly they do an admirable job of it, but there are always going to be limitations. Ask any vegan how many times they have been served pasta as an alternative option.

Not trying to belittle your concerns at all. I believe there is always room for improvement

In general, it's not easy accommodating those with special diets. Certainly they do an admirable job of it, but there are always going to be limitations. Ask any vegan how many times they have been served pasta as an alternative option.

Not trying to belittle your concerns at all. I believe there is always room for improvement

I think you may be missing the point, Matt, or perhaps I'm not being clear. In my opinion, they could and should do more in the specialty restaurants since you are paying a premium to dine there. Many, not all, of the desserts I've seen are desserts available at the Windjammer for dinner. And given that Royal does an admirable job with gluten-free baked goods, I don't think it's too much to ask for them to make just a little effort with regards to dessert when paying extra. Heck, I'd settle for a gluten-free cupcake over what they've been serving. Even the always-available creme brulee is better than what they're serving.

On the upside, at least Giovanni's has a lemon sorbet and a "banana split" of sorts, so at least I didn't have to suffer through flan once again.

I should clarify that the appetizers and entrees have been PHENOMENAL! But when you're told that the chef has prepared something special for you and you receive the same, vial flan with a burnt sauce, something has gone wrong.

Maybe Michelle noted in your reservation "This guy really likes Flan and the chef thinks he's totally surprising you"  :lol:

Agree... by day 2 I was pushing away the gluten-free toast that came with everyone else's selection of 4 different dinner rolls.

I'm gluten + dairy free so desert is even more difficult. The flan was nice one night. Best though, at Giovani's they made a very thoughtful berry sorbet plate on our last night. It was our first RC cruise so I was comparing everything, and this was the only real area that lacked when comparing to Disney where they had something unique each night. (Certainly not worth double the fare!)

I will say the bread selection on the Allure is far superior to that on the Serenade. Most of the staff has said it's baked onboard, but after continually asking, it looks like the better bread in they specialty restaurants is Canyon Bake House (they gave us the bag). There also some decent dinner rolls this time around and commercially purchased GF bread. My biggest gripe is truly the desserts given that they can bake a decent GF cupcake onboard.

We did mention this to our waiter at 150 Central Park tonight and he came out with a meringue dessert covered in a strawberry dude that was a nice surprised. He also made a Peligrino, peach puree, and lemon grass syrup for my son that was quite phenomenal.