Royal Caribbean Blog

I always to just put money each month into a savings account leading up to the final payment date of the cruise.  Then I charge the total balance to my credit card for the rewards points.  When the statement comes, I just pay it off with what I have saved in the cruise savings account.

Are you using a Royal Caribbean credit card? Best card to use for RC charges. The points can be used for on board credit. 10,00 points = $100.00, etc. 

Are you using a Royal Caribbean credit card? Best card to use for RC charges. The points can be used for on board credit. 10,00 points = $100.00, etc.

I'll disagree as cards like the Costco Visa pay 3% cash back on travel purchases, whereas I believe the Royal card only gives 2% when spent on Royal purchases.

I always to just put money each month into a savings account leading up to the final payment date of the cruise.  Then I charge the total balance to my credit card for the rewards points.  When the statement comes, I just pay it off with what I have saved in the cruise savings account.

Unless you are in the UK, then they charge 2-3% extra to use a credit card (and 1% to use a debit card).  Really beginning to rethink my decision to settle in the UK after I retired from the US military 15 years ago. (I'm a transplanted american citizen)  Seems they are always trying to get more from the customer with little returned.

Rant over.

I'll disagree as cards like the Costco Visa pay 3% cash back on travel purchases, whereas I believe the Royal card only gives 2% when spent on Royal purchases.

I too, do not think the RCCL Credit Card provides the best reward per buck as the Bank of America Travel Rewards Card that I have.  I get 2% on every purchase (+ bonus depending on my daily average balance in my savings account).  I can use these points to "reimburse myself" for travel related expenses for up to 1 year after the travel related charge posts to my account.  I did get the RCCL Card though just for the 10,000 bonus ($100 OBC) points for the first transaction, but I haven't used it since.

I have a Capital One Venture card that gives me 2% back towards any travel-related purchase (or I can get 1% cash, which would be dumb).  I charge *everything* on the card - literally, everything other than my wife's car lease payment and my property taxes goes on the card.  After I get a pile of points I use them against airfare tickets or pre-cruise hotel stays.  But never the cruises themselves - they're worth what I paid for them.

I did this once as it worked out in my favor as I booked in CAD, but got a OBC in USD...so I "made" money. I still haven't actually taken the cruise I booked and have moved it around a few times now. But no harm in taking advantage of it when its a really good deal or offer.

I will prob look into seeing what they are offering during my next cruise again

I never thought about it that way

"I'll probably spend as much on board as the OBC I'll get anyway"

So rather than spend $500 of my own money on my seapass card...why not get $500 in OBC credit from them to spend...and you walk off the ship not having spent any more money that way and now you have cruises booked and deposits made!

I like that way of thinking!!

I never thought about it that way

"I'll probably spend as much on board as the OBC I'll get anyway"

So rather than spend $500 of my own money on my seapass card...why not get $500 in OBC credit from them to spend...and you walk off the ship not having spent any more money that way and now you have cruises booked and deposits made!

I like that way of thinking!!

... and even if you end up not going on the cruise (which we know won't happen) and you lose the deposit, you're no worse off than if you had never booked the cruise in the first place because you would have otherwise had to pay that amount to your seapass bill on the current cruise.

The only thing is, the deposit and corresponding OBC is more likely to be $100 rather than $500 ... but the logic still applies.

yeah....don't they sometimes have promo's on where the deposit is reduced or larger OBC so you could actually come out ahead on the initial cruise?

For example when they have the 50% reduced deposit promo's going on, but you would still get the $100 OBC?

I have only done this twice myself. In both cases I was booking a 7-day outside cabin and/or balcony (and was C&A Platinum at the time). The promo was the deposit was reduced to $100, which they charged straight to my credit card at the time of booking (i.e. on the ship during my cruise). I then had the choice between getting a $100 OBC on the current cruise I was on, or on the future cruise I was booking. I have always taken the current cruise. I guess the deposit and OBC would be more if I was booking a suite, and maybe less for a shorter cruise or inside cabin?

Because I don't get a drink package, I always have an onboard account bill exceeding $100, so the way I look at it, I'd be paying that amount anyway -- so it's like booking the cruise without a deposit, and then having a $100 knocked off the price of the cruise (that's not how they do the paperwork on it, but it's effectively how it works out for me).