Mediterranean Cruise July 2022 - touring Santorini by oneself ..?

Chris Ferrari

Hi fellow cruiser's...

Odessy of the Sea' is docking @ Santorini during our medirerranean cruise vacation & am presently undecided if to take up the RC shore excursion package or to plan our own itinerary. The ship doesn't dock till 13:00hrs and disembarks - 21:00hrs.

The island's blue domed buildings are mostly situated in Oia - the tenders apparently dropping off in the main capital port of Thira (FIRA)! I can either book the RC shore package which takes in all transporation to Oia town and a winery etc - or I can review options in getting to Oia & return to Thira. Once in Thira, deciding on either taking the cable car back down to Thira port or walking down the stepped donkey trail. I will not be taking the option of using the mis-treated donkeys ..as a way of transportation.

Apparently you could take a fast ferry from Thira port > Oia port and take a local bus from Oia port to the town, spend some time taking taking snaps over the Caldera, soak up the ambience of the vista before making tracks back (hiking) to Thira town. The island during July will be close to the 30' celsius so the hike may not be the most viable choice, although as a  family we are all reletaively fit.

Does anyone have knowledge of this beautiful island & modes of transportation whilst allowing adeqaute time not to miss disembarkation.... Thx Chris

• Chris Ferrari changed the title to Mediterranean Cruise July 2022 - touring Santorini by oneself ..?
  • 1 month later...

Hi! Hubby and I will also be in Santorini in July - but on the Brilliance!  We plan on doing our own thing. Get up the gondola first thing, bus down to Oia, take in views and bus back and take steps down back to ship.

I’ve heard the fast ferry can be slow/late/unreliable??? No experience with that as this will be our first visit to this port.

Any other tips or tricks fellow cruise peeps?

Can’t wait!!