Next Cruise Policy

Beba

Anthem of the Seas- 2/21/16-3/2/16- 

It was great of RCCL to give the 50% discount. If you left a deposit for your next cruise you would have received on board credit of up to $500. However you had to book a specific cruise and make that decision while on board. To take advantage of this offer many people had to wait on long lines for hours to meet a representative. This was unfair to people on vacation to wait on these lines. Finally, RCCL after a few days handed out forms. This allowed people to select a cruise and simply hand in these forms, avoiding standing in lines for hours. Other cruise lines like Princess and Norwegian allow you to leave a deposit, get the same onboard credit and allow you four years to book your cruise.

I refused to wait on line and felt it was unfair to force me to make an immediate decision. Thus I elected to lose the on board credit.

Poor policy by RCCL

Anthem of the Seas- 2/21/16-3/2/16- 

It was great of RCCL to give the 50% discount. If you left a deposit for your next cruise you would have received on board credit of up to $500. However you had to book a specific cruise and make that decision while on board. To take advantage of this offer many people had to wait on long lines for hours to meet a representative. This was unfair to people on vacation to wait on these lines. Finally, RCCL after a few days handed out forms. This allowed people to select a cruise and simply hand in these forms, avoiding standing in lines for hours. Other cruise lines like Princess and Norwegian allow you to leave a deposit, get the same onboard credit and allow you four years to book your cruise.

I refused to wait on line and felt it was unfair to force me to make an immediate decision. Thus I elected to lose the on board credit.

Poor policy by RCCL

Last week on Allure of the seas I went down to the next cruise room and it was busy I just signed my name in the appointment book for the next day with a specific time. Very simple picked my sailing and rooms was in n out in less 20 minutes. I believe they still have open bookings but offer greater OBC for picking specific sail dates. I"ll pick a sailing for more free money!

All appointments were taken! Once the 50% discount was announced for the shorten cruise, everyone tried to take advantage of the onboard credit.

RCCL was unable to accommodate all the passengers. I was also told there is no longer a opening booking policy!

It's changed, I don't know if it's because I was on a different ship or if their policy changed in general. It appears it varies from ship to ship.

I don't know how long I've been booking Next Cruises, 4 to 6 years at least. Originally, one had to reserve a slot with the Loyalty Ambassador and those filled up quickly. Doing that I could get a Next Cruise booking number and the accompanying OBC, tho usually I would just go ahead and book my cruise anyway. Because it was so difficult to get to see the LA, they started doing the forms. Fill out a form, you'd get your booking number. In that case I would book my cruise at home within a few months.

This worked fine until about 3 years ago when I booked my farthest cruise out, over 2 years away. It was so far out I actually went on 2 cruises in between the time I booked and the time I actually cruised. When that cruise finally arrived, I did not get my OBC but it had been so long since I booked, I couldn't recall if I was due any or not.

Fast forward to last week. Because of the missing OBC from my previous cruise, I took documentation on board my last cruise. Once again, I did not receive the OBC but I had proof in hand that I should have gotten it. Easy, yes? No. A Guest Relations person told me if I was due it I would have gotten it (wrong answer)! Now this was on Liberty. On Liberty the Loyalty Ambassador did not do the Next Cruise bookings but they had a Next Cruise store in the Promenade. I turned to the manager there who said yes, I should have the OBC, we went back to GR, got a different GR person who took my docs and said they'd have to fax them to RC onshore who would ultimately say if I was due the OBC. Turns out they said yes but it still took them until Day 6 to credit it to me. Grrrrr.

On Liberty it turns out, they did things differently. They not only had a sign in book and a dedicated store, but they had at least 4 Next Cruise people to help with new bookings. The deal I got was reduced deposit ($100 for 2 people) plus an OBC that got credited to the *current* cruise. So no more "lost" OBC. I liked that setup much much better.

From your experience and my experience, it looks like it varies from year to year and ship to ship.