broken itinerary

Just curious with recent weather issues off the east coast, when ships have to break  the route and come back to port early, does the passenger have the right / option to stay on the ship?

Somewhere buried in the small print must be a clause relating to this. I expect the company would not kick you off  but  maybe they incentivize you  to do so.

The contract says they are not required to do anything. They can terminate any cruise at any time.  Just last week after returning two days early they offered a refund for the days and 50% credit to future cruise.  A lot depends upon the handling of their image. Several times on cruises when a group of passengers will not leave due to problems they have been offered extras to leave. 

Like any business I believe they try to balance a good public image with the highest profits. And while the company will lead you top believe they have the final say they really do not. The law and the terms of use for the credit card used for the cruise have major effects here. But here is the small print (In general) your contract could be a little different:

6. CANCELLATION, DEVIATION OR SUBSTITUTION BY CARRIER: Carrier may for any reason at any time and without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing, port of call, destination, lodging or any activity on or off the Vessel, or substitute another vessel or port of call, destination, lodging or activity. Carrier shall not be liable for any claim whatsoever by Passenger, including but not limited to loss, compensation or refund, by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, substitution or deviation. In connection with a CruiseTour, Carrier has the same right to cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled activity, departure or destination, or substitute another railcar, bus, destination or lodging or other component of the CruiseTour. Carrier shall not be liable for any claim by Passenger whatsoever, including but not limited to loss, compensation or refund, by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, substitution or deviation. By way of example, and not limitation, Carrier may, without liability, deviate from any scheduled sailing and may otherwise land Passenger and her property at any port if Carrier believes that the voyage or any Passenger or property may be hindered or adversely affected as a result of hostilities, blockages, prevailing weather conditions, labor conflicts, strikes onboard or ashore, breakdown of Vessel, congestion, docking difficulties, medical or life saving emergencies or any other cause whatsoever. Carrier shall have the right to comply with any orders, recommendations, or directions whatsoever given by any governmental entity or by persons purporting to act with such authority and such compliance shall not be deemed a breach of this Agreement entitling the Passenger to assert any claim for liability, compensation or refund.

Interesting. So if a ship comes back 1,2 or whatever days earlier I'd much rather stay on ship than hassle with refunds, booking hotels and transportation issues with a 1000 other people competing with me. Now would they still feed you....? I wonder what the winning percentage is for the class action suits you read about when stuff happens at sea. Better call Saul.

Very hard to know 

Interesting. So if a ship comes back 1,2 or whatever days earlier I'd much rather stay on ship than hassle with refunds, booking hotels and transportation issues with a 1000 other people competing with me. Now would they still feed you....? I wonder what the winning percentage is for the class action suits you read about when stuff happens at sea. Better call Saul.

Hard to know as most are settled before open court and they have a clause in them so the public never knows the results. The truth is while the cruise line wants you to believe they have control and power they really don't. If they come back early you need to agree to leave the ship. It is not a criminal act to stay in a cabin you have paid for or claim to have the right to be in. It may be a civil code violation and could be viewed that way. In the end the ship will work with any passenger to resolve the issues. 

Very much like when a Airline overbooks a flight, they try to work with passengers first and developed a plan or compensation package so everyone is happy. It is the compensation level that changes.