Victoria, BC

lhm0204

On our summer cruise to Alaska, we are stopping in Victoria, BC.  We are there all day and we are really struggling with what to do there???   we were considering the hop on/hop off bus but it got awful reviews.  we are already doing whale watching.  any suggestions??    who has been there, what do you recommend seeing??  (and we will have kids with us, so things like walking thru gardens are probably not very appealing).  this port  is a real struggle !!  thanks in advance.

Thanks, our kids are teenagers (15-23), not as easy to convince as a 5 year old.  I am also very active and not sure I can do gardens either.  but maybe if it is cheap.  can't imagine that would take more than an hour (at least that is the most I would give it), still have the rest of the day.  has anyone done the hop on / hop off bus??  it got bad reviews for having to wait too long for busses, but when looking online at Gray Line, they seem to have busses running pretty non stop.  (not sure if Royal Caribbean uses Gray Line or not)

Victoria is a great city with lots do so with kids, and it does not need to cost much. Transportation is great and lots of services. Here is a link for ideas with things to do with children. I'm sure you will find more than enough to fill the time you have.

http://www.where.ca/british-columbia/victoria/things-to-do-with-kids-in-victoria/

The gardens aren't cheap and about an hour each way.

Once you get to the waterfront, it is easily to walk around to see the highlights, catch a carriage ride, etc. We did a horse drawn trolley tour years ago that was fun and then just strolled downtown at our own pace. We never felt the need for HoHo bus, although we enjoyed using them elsewhere.

As a BC'er, Victoria is a great walking city. All around the harbor is just fine to kill a day or so.

Parliament buildings, history mueseum and the empress hotel are the highlights. Shopping should be cheap with your USD if the exchange rate holds until then. Send your "kids" shopping and you go for tea at the Empress.

• 2 months later...

On our summer cruise to Alaska, we are stopping in Victoria, BC.  We are there all day and we are really struggling with what to do there???   we were considering the hop on/hop off bus but it got awful reviews.  we are already doing whale watching.  any suggestions??    who has been there, what do you recommend seeing??  (and we will have kids with us, so things like walking thru gardens are probably not very appealing).  this port  is a real struggle !!  thanks in advance.

The gardens are incredible and the restaurant there is delicious. I guess it depends on the ages of your children, but when were there last year, there were tons of families with children. 

• 2 weeks later...

we ended up booking the ziplining!!  looking at gardens is just not appealing to a group of very active adults and 7 kids!!  we cannot wait,  it looks amazing and got great reviews.  it will also give us time to do some sightseeing.  the inner harbor area/seals looked like fun!!