Quantum of the Seas 7th October 2019

supergran

Hi. There is a group of us that would like to visit the reclining Buddha in Nanzoin. Looking for the easiest and quickest way to get there from Fukuoka cruise terminal. We are there from 13 hours to 20.45.

In Taipei we will be at Keelung port from 10 to 19 hours. We’ve been told it takes over an hour for everyone to disembark as the ship is so big. Not looking to eat a lot as there is plenty of food onboard. Just want to sight see on our own or small group, not 50 seater buses.

Thanks for any suggestions.

18 hours ago, supergran said:

There is a group of us that would like to visit the reclining Buddha in Nanzoin. Looking for the easiest and quickest way to get there from Fukuoka cruise terminal. We are there from 13 hours to 20.45.

This is actually an easy 30 minute train ride (cost about $5 per person) from the station fairly close to the Port. Grab a cab (or 2 or 3) from the Port to Yoshizuka Station and then take the express train to Kidonanzoin-Mae Station (4 stops). From there the walk is just a few minutes. You would need to go earlier rather than later, as the Buddha closes at 5p. After that, head back and spend time exploring the port area. 

18 hours ago, supergran said:

Taipei we will be at Keelung port

If you want to avoid crowds, stay in Keelung town instead of heading into Taipei. If you're up for walking, you can see Khoo Tsu-song Old Mansion and Keelung Zhongzheng Park, and just wander about seeing the neat stuff. There are lots of twisty roads, hills, and stairs, so only do this if you want the exercise!

16 hours ago, supergran said:

It’s for a taxi for 6 people booked in advance. Works out about $130 per couple at today’s exchange. Just wondering if we go by train is Yoshikzuka station or Hakata which is nearest to the cruise terminal? I have seen both mentioned.

You can go from either station -- it's about the same distance (depending on exactly which pier you dock at). If you board at Hakata it's 5 stops instead of 4; adds about 3 minutes ? 

I will say that the taxi will likely be lovely. All the mini-van ones are! 

If you're looking for ease and comfort, do the taxi tour. If you want a more authentic experience, take the train.

Enjoy!

7 hours ago, supergran said:

Sorry to be a nuisance but is there a bus from the cruise terminal to either Hakata or Yoshizuka station? I’m worried the taxis will all be taken.

The bus is a city bus, but yes there is one. I can't remember if the bus stop had the stop names on the route map in English, but I think so.

However, I really do think you will not have trouble getting a taxi -- there are so, so many and they will know the ship arrival time so they'll be waiting!