Alaska 2017 - balcony vs. panoramic ocean view??

dznyacct

We are looking at cruising to Alaska in 2017. We have only cruised on Disney before, but their prices have driven us away :(.  We are travelling with a group of friends (~15 total).  My immediate travelling group is myself, DH and DS.  I am very intrigued by the panoramic ocean view cabins, but my DH really wants a balcony.  There's not that much of a price difference between the two.  Does anyone have an opinion on what would be best for an Alaskan cruise?  Thanks :).

We have only cruised on Disney before, but their prices have driven us away :(. 

You're in good company. Lots of folks here, including myself, followed the same path.  You wont regret it!

I am very intrigued by the panoramic ocean view cabins, but my DH really wants a balcony.  There's not that much of a price difference between the two.  Does anyone have an opinion on what would be best for an Alaskan cruise?  Thanks :).

I booked my first paonoramic oceanview on Freedom for September because, like you, they really look interesting.

Traditionally, balcony staterooms are the way to go on Alaska cruises for the views. 

Obviously, a pano room will still give you a nice view, but without the ocean breeze.  

Which ship are you looking at?

You don't necessarily want an ocean breeze in Alaska, as it can be quite cold depending on the weather.  We've been lucky with 75 degree weather and snow on the ground, but this isn't always the case.

A nice view is a definite plus, but I'd probably lean towards a balcony especially if you have an opportunity to view glaciers.  You won't be able to hear the calving of the glaciers from your room and it's a pain to fight for deck space during the sailing into the fjord.