Rain Forest excursion in San Juan

plasticmaster

I'm sailing on the Harmony of the Seas in July and one of the ports is San Juan.  I will be there on a Wednesday from 2pm until 9pm.  I'd really like to visit the El Yunque rain forest.  Is there enough time to do this?  What is the best way to get transportation there, visit the rain forest, and get back to the ship on time.  Also, I'd like to have some time to explore around Old San Juan.  I know I may be asking a lot, but I'd really appreciate any help.  Thanks.

Rain forest: There is enough time, just plan a late dinner. I would stick with the cruise ship excursion on this one, but you will be with a busload of people. It's going to take some time to all gather, then ride all the way there (45 minutes or more) and all the way back. It's gorgeous, and you can actually see quite a bit from the short trails that you will take. I did it years ago as an excursion with airport drop off, at the end of the trip. 

You may want to try Private Journeys, through Royal Caribbean, if you want a strenuous hike and a small group, then you will be guaranteed a way back to the ship - and you may be able to combine a small piece of the old town, perhaps a restaurant, into your evening.

When you get off the ship, turn left, keep walking with the water on your left. You will pass through a plaza with lots of street food, keep going until you see the path below the fort wall, you can keep going, but it does dead end around the point in front of El Morro.  It is cooler in the evening to walk here, and the sunset is fantastic. Then on your way back, when you see the city gate, go through it then wander back to the ship, going downhill all the way. This can take 45 minutes or 2 hours, depending on how many times you stop for photos, food, rest, .....